I can't bring myself to buy a tribute L-2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ojthesimpson, Jan 14, 2005.

1. ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    I can't do it, I want a G & L L-2000 but I can't afford the price (even 20 year ebay GL s are hitting 700 everytime) .L.. So my only option is a Tribute L-2000. Problem is I cant bring myself to do it. I can't buy a companies LOW end gear. I keep having nightmares of bad action, scratchy pots, warped necks and bad finishes. Someone tell me I'm crazy or I'm stuck wanting for 6 months :)
    I havent got the chance to play one so I really don't know. I owned a G & L L-2000 for 3 months befor some car thieves left me a situation where it was rent or BASS :mad:
    I'm sure plenty of you know what I'm feeling right now. I just don't want to make a bad move with these Tribbys

rant over
    thank you
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You should know from here that Tributes are great basses, very comparable to USA G&Ls. There is nothing wrong with low end gear if it is good quality. Look at it another way, the bass is inexpensive, but it is not cheap. Buy it, hold your head up and jam. It's just that simple.
  3. The old G&L's are getting collectable, so you may have to look for one that was made in the late 90's for a better price.

How much do you have to spend?
  4. ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    I have 600 right now , I'd really prefer an American HAND! made G & L
    I'm trying to get more $$
    sucks cause I paid 485 for the one I had befor
    and I loved it like it was a puppy or something
  5. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    wasn't there a thread about this recently??? Buy a tribute from Buffalo bros now and use their 100% trade up policy later.
  6. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Your Crazy....

I have a G&L Tribute L-2500 and freak'in love it. All that you are worried about can also happen with USA made as well.

you better not be giving my G&L five string away. :)
  7. David Henry

David Henry Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2000
    Bend, Oregon 97702
    I have sent you a PM!

8. Nah, he didn't want it either. :(

It's too hard for me to sell any of my G&L's. :p
  9. KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    OJ..., no disrespect intended but with a post like your original it seem as though very little homework has been done on your part relative to the outstanding Tribute bass.
    There is absolutly nothing "Low end" about the Tribute L-2000 except the price.

Bass player magazine reviewed it last year and gave it their "outstanding construction" and "outstanding tone" awards.

I could go on and on however I think once you play one and look at it objectively, you'll be taking it home for sure!!

10. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    :scowl: umm thats a shame. :D

I don't believe the Tribute is really that cheap of a bass.
    Mine had a sticker price of 559.99 on it. I traded two guitars and one squire p-bass that I bought for 145.00<---now that is cheap compared to what the price of the G&L Tribute.
  11. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    How do you feel about blue? Go look in the For Sale forum... now.

12. I pointed that one out to him also.