Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I can't bring myself to sell any basses!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pickles, Jan 27, 2006.

1. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    :help:

I've been on a real GAS-a-thon this year, and I officially have too many basses I love. I've always been a major gearhead, and I'm finally at a point in my life where the funds don't really have a big impact on me (Dual Incomes, No Kids).

I don't feel like I can know how to play this many basses at any given time, but I can see gigs in my future where I'd want each of them. How do you guys manage to successfully thin the herd?! Or is "life too short to let a good bass go"?

I listed my DJ5, but then played a gig on it and it sounded killer live, so I had to pull it. I listed my MTD535, but then I came to my senses (MAD props to everyone who posted on my thread and reminded me of what I was about to do! Thanks!), theres no way I'm selling the Ernie Ball twins, and I gotta have a P bass, and an alder J bass.

Sorry I know its kind of a been-done thread.

Oops, I left one out. Maybe I do have something I could sell after all :ninja:

2. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

If you dont need the money from the sale to buy more gear just hang on to it.
    Sell it only if you must..

3. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I have a self-imposed limit of 5 basses (excluding the DB) that I'm actually over right now by 2 :rolleyes: Of those basses, three are absolute keepers, the rest just seem to float in and out. While I can make an argument about needing each and every bass I've ever owned, I'm really just kidding myself. My three main basses do the job just fine ....

The only bass I really regret selling was a Brice Z6NT .... it was a relatively inexpensive bass but it was a real smoking axe that I wish I had back. I've tried other Brices, but none are as cool as that Z6 was .... :cool:

4. Well... here's one perspective. I never have looked back when selling a bass. I've found that if I'm thinking about selling it, there's a reason... and after it's gone, I dont' miss it at all. There are other basses (like my MTD) that I never, even for a second, think about selling... and I don't.

Also... contrary to some peoples belief's, I don't believe in the 'one of a kind' perfect bass that can never be replaced. It's amazing (being the fanatic that I am) the number of absolutely wonderful basses I check out over at Low Down Sound (both their stock and other bass players bringing their basses to the shop for a hang). There's ALWAYS a great bass in your future if you look hard enough.

So.. if you are thinking about selling one... there's probably a reason for it.... go for it!

5. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I think you answered yourself. If you have the funds, then just take a big breath and enjoy them.

I too sell them too fast. Then I find myself rebuying basses sometimes, just because I miss having a particular bass.

One day I gig with a particular bass and my playing is great and I'm cooking. And I think, "Man, this is THE bass." The very next day I do another gig with the same bass and either I suck or the bass sucks, so, it changes everyday. . . I have to remind myself that most of the time it is ME and the BAND making the sound, not a particular bass, sound system or engineer. Playing with a good drummer makes any bass sound better too!

To me the worst part of GAS is not being able to play only one bass and concentrate more in the music. Instead you are in an eternal "test" mode. :help:

6. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    That is good perspective KJung. My primary motivation for selling any of these is that I just feel overwhelmed by having so many basses, not that I don't think any of them are great.

But point very much taken.

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I've sold more basses than I can remember and I can honestly say that only a few of them have ever really lingered in my mind. Some I regret selling more because of their current value (Pre-EB Stingray) than for their musical value. In other words, selling basses means very little to me. That said, if you don't have to sell them, keep them. That is especially true if you can honestly use these instruments, which you say you can. Even if you couldn't, why not have them around because they look good and you can plunk on them once in a while? You seem to doing well, so why not enjoy your possessions? You sure can't take them with you!:eek:

8. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    There is also the Joey Squid factor ... the little lady is not particularly fond of my gear room :ninja:

9. ctbass

ctbass

Jun 21, 2005
    Colorado
    DO NOT SELL ANY BASSES:smug:

10. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA

Ahhhhhh. Thanks. I needed that. :bassist:

11. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Sounds like you arent ready to part with any of them. Dont sell 'till you fall out of love with one of them

Rob

12. SoulMaim

SoulMaim

Dec 1, 2005
    Ontario
    Hey that's just something that comes with marrying a bassist, she should accept that:rolleyes:

You should keep the basses, heck get more to add to the collection. As long as you have enough space to store them all, you can never have too many basses.

13. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    See, that's MY problem. I only have 2 basses, building a third, but space is an issue in this 'lil boston apartment.
    *sigh*
    and I'm counting down minutes on an ebay auction right now. :D

14. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    You'll be leaving the world with what you came with.

15. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    You mean GAS? :ninja: :bag:

16. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    By the way, medically, it has been proven that if you stop reading and posting in forums like this one, your GAS will decrease by a wooping 75%.

I did it (for a while) but felt off the wagon.

17. I'm the same way.

I still have my first bass, well....pieces of it anyway, so selling it is not an option, but I still have my first real bass, a Rick. Even though I hardly ever play it I don't think I could sell it. It's there if I ever want a Rick sound on anything I might do in the future. Okay, that's mostly B.S., it's more sentiment then the chance of actually using it. I just can't let go. :p

As far as wanting more basses, it's definitely this place. I went a long stretch without wanting or buying a new bass until coming here. To be honest, not just this place, I would have to say pre-internet. Pre-internet I could only gas for what was available locally which was not much.

18. Don't feel bad I have the same problem.

I currently own a Roscoe LG3005, Pedulla Thunderbass 5, Modulus Quantum 5, Ken Smith BSR J 5, Zon Sonus Special Fretless 5, and a BSX EUB..

I have way too many basses but I really enjoy having the option of playing and recording different instruments. The bottom line is if you can afford it just enjoy it and be glad you're in that position.

I've sold many basses but I only have two regrets. Pre Gibson Tobias Signature 5 and pre EB Stingray. These regrets are purely monetary driven, I don't actually miss the basses.

Blake

19. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    uh, i just noticed that 'new p bass' thread, the guy bought it from you...am i missing something?

20. Hey! Grug is right, I checked your post.

You sold a 78 P bass.

I feel bamboozled, slightly used, and, well,.....just taken advantage of.

What gives man!

;)