I can't choose. HELP!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Martian Samurai, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Martian Samurai

Martian Samurai

Mar 3, 2017
    Turkey
    Hello. I really want to play bass guitar but I don't know what bass I should buy. I researched a little bit and found some basses that I can afford. Here's the list:

Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
    Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
    Fender Squier Affinity Jazz Bass
    Ibanez SR370
    Schecter SGR C4
    Schecter Omen4
    Epiphone EB-3

I can't decide on which one I should buy. I haven't played bass guitar but I really want to. Hope you can help me decide. I would appreciate it. :)

Edit: I would also like to hear your amp suggestions, if you have suggestions, of course. I am thinking of Ibanez IBZ10BV2-U at the moment as my amp.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I'm not going to help but you can probably also afford the Sire M3 then. Out of your list though, I think I'd choose the Ibanez or one of the Schecters. :) I don't think any of them are bad choices though.

PortlandBass77 likes this.
  3. .BumeStik.

.BumeStik.

Jul 15, 2012
    Gilbert, AZ
    Just my 2 cents.... You made a good list of basses in that price range. I just picked an Ibanez SR370EF (Fretless) after not touching Ibanez for awhile. If you LIKE the thinner neck Profile of the SR, it would be my #1 choice. The pickups and pre in the SR370 will match, or do better, than the tones of the other basses you listed, IMO. Very Versatile bass, especially for the $$$. Best of luck. Let us know what you go with.

Tbone76 and Ikkir like this.
  4. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    It's 2017. Start with a 5er in the same price ranges. Get a teacher to help you find your way. Just an opinion and you asked for them. The Ibby GSR205SM is only like $299 is a very pretty bass and it sounds decent. Or a Sterling Sub 5, or Squier VM JB 5.

nyde7 likes this.
  5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Welcome to TalkBass @Martian Samurai !!!!!

What kind of music are you into? Some of those basses will have enough a more modern tone and some more "old school". Not that you can't play anything on anything. You certainly can. But it may keep your interests up to get a bass that best fits your "style".

6. Martian Samurai

Martian Samurai

Mar 3, 2017
    Turkey
    Wow. I didn't expect to get answers this quickly. Thank you all so much for your opinions!

I will consider Sire M3 as well. Thanks for the suggestion!

To be honest, I don't have a specific style of music that I listen to. I listen to Dream Theatre, some Metallica, RHCP too.

pudgychef likes this.
  7. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    In that case, another vote for the Ibanez. It'll be versatile and upgradable if you want to swap out electronics later. The thin neck will be easy to learn on.

8. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    What you've selected is a good starting point when choosing a bass for the first time. The next step to help you narrow your choice is to go to your local music store and put them in your hands. No need to plug in, just feel which is more comfortable to fret. Which neck feels good, which body shape feels comfortable.

Then, you can narrow your choices even more.

LeftyD likes this.
  9. Martian Samurai

Martian Samurai

Mar 3, 2017
    Turkey
    Thanks for the suggestion! I was thinking on getting the Ibanez one too. I just wasn't sure because the other ones had good reviews too. Also, if you don't mind answering, what do you think about Epiphone Thunderbird basses? It has a really interesting and nice look but I read some threads that said it was pretty bad.

10. Martian Samurai

Martian Samurai

Mar 3, 2017
    Turkey
    I will actually go to a music store this weekend and try out the basses I listed if I can find them. I'm not thinking on buying a bass right now though. I will most likely buy one 1 or 1.5 months later. Beacuse I'm a high school student and my exams will start soon so I don't want to get distracted by the bass. :D

Tbone76 likes this.
  11. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Unfortunately I have zero experience with those. They have their fans but I simply can't tell you much about them.

12. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Out there!
    Given you have never played any bass before, any one of those basses on your list will get you started, for sure. Just buy the one that feels most comfortable to you, and absolutely make sure the store you buy it from properly sets the instrument up so it will play easily and in tune.

GregC, Tbone76, Anachronism and 3 others like this.
  13. brianmharrison

brianmharrison

Oct 11, 2007
    Atlanta
    Squier VM Jazz

Crowd crusher and tlite like this.
  14. Some things you need to be on the lookout for when you go in to buy your bass regardless of which brand it is:-

(a) Weight...this can be a big factor. You might not like a bass that pushes 9lbs or more, for example.

(b) Neckdive.....this is when the neck of the bass keeps wanting to sag downward when you have the bass strapped on. Not good at all. Look for one that doesn't do this.

(c) Neck warp. (yes.. they can come from the factory this way). The neck is generally supposed to have a little forward bow in it . (This is called "relief"...and is adjustable on the bass because it has a

(d) Truss Rod....this adjusts the relief of the neck.

If you look down the neck and it is warped and twisted from one side to the other however you may want to hang it back up on the rack and look at another one that isn't like that.

(e) Fret sprout. This is when the metal ends of the frets stick out a tad from the neck and annoy you when you play the bass because they scratch. It can be fixed pretty easy. But your new bass optimally should be sprout -free.

Many basses come from the factory without a proper "set-up" which can possibly fool a buyer into thinking that the bass is no good.

A "set-up" is adjusting the relief, string height, pickup height, saddle height and what not so that the bass plays correctly for the person that bought and uses it.

Many guitar shops will do a free "setup" on purchase.....but be aware that they don't always do a good job. A competent luthier usually does a better job.

And then there's the question of scale length. Many people like shortscales..but that doesn't necessarily mean you will.

You seem to be in longscale territory initially......but you might want to try out a couple of shorties just to see whether they are for you or not..

Cheers :thumbsup:

craigie, Tbone76, Oddly and 2 others like this.
  15. beaglesandbass

beaglesandbass Think first, then post? Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Welcome! I can't really help you though, as there are no right answers as everyone is different. What I would buy on that list might not be what the person who replies before and after me would buy.

I can say that of the Squiers, I would go with one of the VMs over the Affinity. Better quality. Of the two VMs, I would pick the Jag as it has more tonal options than the straight Jazz.

Ultimately your best bet would be to go to a music store (or a few different ones) and play as many basses in your price range as you can, and see what feels good to you.

bholder likes this.
  16. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I'm in the "FEEL" over "SOUND" category when approaching any instrument, especially when you're starting from zero. An instrument's sound can be altered in many, many ways (strings, pickups, wiring, etc…), but there are less options for altering how it feels in your hands (tuners and bridges can, then there's seriously irreversible modifications). So, if you find something that just feels "right" to you, go with that or something built along it's lines.

nyde7 and 5544 like this.
  17. Out of your list the Ibanez is probably the best option for learning on:

Ibanez necks are generally pretty thin and fast
    The electronics are pretty versatile, you will be able to experiment and find tones you like

I also recommend that you check out the Sire M3 it is affordable and high quality, the downside though is you won't be able to try it before you buy as it is only sold online.

Ikkir likes this.
  18. Martian Samurai

Martian Samurai

Mar 3, 2017
    Turkey
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Now from what I understand, I will go to a store to try out the guitars I listed and some more to see the one that fits me best and also make sure that it's set-up well. I was thinking on Sire M3 but I'm not sure about the online purchase thing. Thank you all again for giving your opinions about the topic. <3 <3

Jeff Scott likes this.
  19. jhb138

jhb138

Sep 14, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Yes, so this. I would even suggest you play *every* bass in your price range.

Let the bass choose you.

craigie, Martian Samurai and JRA like this.
  20. interp

interp

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    Whatever bass you choose, be sure it has a proper set up and is comfortable to play. Nothing kills a beginner's passion for learning faster than an instrument that is physically difficult or uncomfortable to play.

Martian Samurai, Oddly and pudgychef like this.