i can't cut through the mix and i'm becoming bitter

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by rusmannx, Nov 24, 2004.

1. rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    so we're in the process of recording. it doesn't matter what i do with my amp, i can't get any type of dynamic sound on the track. i've tried using a chorus pedal, played with a million different settings on the amp (1001rb-II), fooled with the direct out, bumped up the feed coming into the 4track.... it doesn't matter.

my tone always sounds flat, dead, without shape.
    not only that, but even if i record loudly, or bump the volume on the mixer i still sound like i'm standing in the background.

any tips or hits on this? i'm doing the bands mixing (its home recording remember) so go ahead and shoot some ideas my way.
    thanks guys.
  2. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    It's not my thing, but try using a good quality compressor and possibly a good parametric. Bump up the eq at 250 and 800. Hope it helps, BTW, what kind of rig are you running? And strings- I never record with anything less than fresh strings.
  3. rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001

just installed some La Bella 040-100s.
    i'll try your eq bump idea.
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    you may try some different brand tapes. With a GK 1001, you ought to be punchin like crazy. Make sure not to turn the contour up to much. Bump the high-mids, bump the low-mids a tad, leave the lows flat. and roll back the treble side a bit. You can use the direct out, and make sure you use the post EQ button. Turn your boost up and your vlume up to about 12 o'clock, and the use the master on the right side to adjust for cabinet volume. Try that, and tell me what you get.
  5. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Maybe try using a pick...

6. You don't give us much information on how you are recording, and whether you can get a good stage bass sound.

If you like your stage sound, try using a mic.
    If your stage sound goes when you connect to a recording system, it may be that you have an impedance mismatch, and need to use an active DI or something similar.
    For recording technique, the UK magazine Sound-on-sound carries articles on recording most things. Here is one example for bass -
    http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Oct....asp?session=146de084f8690543ee5f0ae158d5911a and this is their 'recording bass' index
  7. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    If it's cassette 4 track, it can be almost impossible to get a good bass sound. But it would help if we knew what bass you're using, and what 4 track model.
  8. As a general rule, boosting the highs on a recorded track will make it seem 'closer' in a mix, which seems to be what you're looking for.

And ditto on the mic if you prefer your stage sound to your recorded sound. I'm all about miccing bass rigs in the studio, DIs almost always sound a bit flat to me.
  9. rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    YES! this worked perfectly. i sound much closer now, and you can actually hear what i'm doing.
    on the bad side, now i'm getting some distortion crap from the amp. at first i thought it was the cab making it (like a dust cap or something), but it's coming through the direct out into the reocorder.... so i don't know what that could be.

as for what i use.... i'll update the profile.
  10. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Try turning the boost down a bit, and make sure you are not on the drive channel of that amp. Somethimes, though, a tape deck is just otorious for this kind of thing. I have to 1001RB model of this amp, so I know it very well.

On this amp, you don't want to bood the trble to much, it can sound realy clicky if you go too far. The high-mids are where the cut through really happens. And punch comes in the low mids. You may also try turning down the DI out volume. But I am not sure where the dostortion would be coming from. If it is coming out of the speakers, then it it in the amp. If it's only out of the recording, it's the recorder.
  11. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I read the post more, you will want to use less boost,and also make sure the drive setting isn't on. Or, here... Turn on the 10dB pad button. Make sure that clip light isnt coming on. That will make that sound go away. You may need to turn up a bit more after that, though, but it won't distort any more.
  12. rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    the distortion was coming from the cab, and it showed up on the track. i turned off and on and now it's gone.... wierd.

the overdrive comes from when the volume is turned up further than the boost right?

i'm having success with this setting

direct out: level at 4oclock with post
    volume: 12oclock
    contour: 9:30
    presence: 12oclock
    treble: 12oclock
    hi-mid: 3oclock
    lowmid: 1oclock
    bass: 10:30
    boost: 12oclock
    tweeter: 12oclock
    woofer: adjusting my cab volume
  13. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The boost being up too far usually causes the distortion, not the volume. Be sure to turn on the pad control, and it will keep the distortion to a minimum.
  14. remember...new strings and EQ are your friend!
    EQ is great for sprucing up a lame tone...or for giving yourself more room by taking away lower frequencies from obnoxious guitarists!