1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I can't decide. Let it go or keep it. Crate Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lazerrus, May 20, 2011.

1. Lazerrus

Lazerrus

Dec 18, 2010
    So I still have my first decent amp I ever bought. A Crate BX100 Combo. It is still in showroom condition. I now have a full stack Peavey rig and this amp just sits. I am in need of a guitar amp and so I'm thinking of putting this up for trade/sale on craigslist. But when I come close to doing it I get all sentimental and don't. I know Crate was bought out and these are long gone especially in the condition mine is in. Ahhhhhh I just can't decide:crying: Someone push me over the edge one way or the other please.
    crate.

2. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    I bought a used fender jazz that came with that combo. The seller wouldn't split but the bass alone was easily worth the price. I sold the amp a few days later. It sounded OK but it was extremely heavy for the amount of sound it could produce.

But I also have the first 100w Yamaha combo I ever bought. The amount of money ($100-150) I could get isn't worth it at this point. I keep in the basement for practice. Still sounds good.

Just depends on whether you'd rather have the money or the combo.

3. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    let er go

4. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    I keep one of my older, small amps at my band's practice space, another one at a friend's house where I jam, and another one at home to use when I don't feeling like messing with a big rig. They're handy!

5. strke-fender

strke-fender

Feb 26, 2009
    Go ahead and let her go.. I don't think you'll regret it.

6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    It is really a shame that crate quit making bass amps.

7. JTFormula

JTFormula

Jan 20, 2011
    Brick, NJ
    I still have my original bass amp, a Crate B20. I bought it in 1988 or 89 new. The speaker is blown on it now, heck its around 23 years old. It was a good amp for practice then it was used to plug a mic into it when my PA was borrowed and never returned (also a Crate). I keep thinking I want to put a new speaker in it for sentimental reasons but then I would just exceed the value. Now its sitting in the attic next to my BV120 Crate guitar tube head. I never really had a bad Crate experience, except for the speaker. I own 3 other Crate amps B10, G80, and the BV120 with 4x10 cab. All of them work well and sound nice.

I say if you need the cash but don't play it, sell it for the guitar amp. If you can come up with the cash without selling it, keep it and turn it into a night stand since its not being used for any other purpose.

8. Lazerrus

Lazerrus

Dec 18, 2010
    Yeah I'm leaning towards keeping it and coming up with the funds for geetar amp some other way. It is worth the portability in a pinch jam or something. It interesting to see the responses are about 50/50.

9. My feeling is about having room for it.
    If it's out, and has the chance of being played, lent-out or something, then keep it.
    If it's in a closet and you have pretty much forgotten about it and don't think it'll ever come in handy, then move it.
    If you just can't seem to sell it, then just keep it if you have the room. It's not hurting anybody.

s

10. If you can make a decent trade for a guitar amp I would say do it, but to sell it outright you probably won't get enough to make it worth it. Old Crate is like old Peavey, good quality but little resale value.

11. Lazerrus

Lazerrus

Dec 18, 2010
    Exactly where my thoughts are. You read my mind. Thanks.