Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I can't decide.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChRiS bE, Nov 4, 2002.

What would you go for?

Poll closed Nov 18, 2002.
  1. Flea bass

13 vote(s)
    26.5%
  2. Singray

36 vote(s)
    73.5%
  1. I dunno guys.....what do you think....

1 a Modulus FB4 in blue flake sparkle with matching headstock...all the rest standerd

OR

2 a Stingray (4) dunno about colour.

only trouble stingrays are all over the place here so it aint hard to get one.....

As for modulus only 1 supplier in the uk and i would have to order it. I have no idea how i would be able to try it first :(

2. I would go with whatever you can try. I know that I love my Stingray, so that is what I voted for, and I for some reason didn't really like the flea bass a whole lot, but it is still a great bass, just a bit expensive.

jtbp

3. thanx m8.....I am a bit concerned that i may not be able to try a FB before i decide what 1 to get.

I'll have to w8 and see.

4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Go for the Stingray, but give the Sterling a try first. More tonal options and a neck like a jazz bass. I prefer the Sterling.

5. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I say stingray... WHy? Cost less. I enjoy the overall tone and feel over a stingray compared to the Flea bass...

6. I'd get a Sterling over a Stingray. But since I'm not a raving fanatic over either of them, I'd give a harder look to the Flea. Or, look into something else entirely.

I never was a big fan of the big MusicMan humbucker pickup.

7. The FB4 has a Bart MM pickup to... I have spoke to the only dealer in the UK and he says i would have to order it as no 1 in the UK stockes them anymore. There is about a 12 week backlog at modulus at the moment.

8. motherfunker

motherfunker

Apr 29, 2002
    New York
    well flea DID use both of those basses, as you prolly know, but the price difference might affect your decision. The stingray is great, but i've never played a flea bass, nor do i know how much one costs, so i think it's up to you.

i myself have a Fender Jazz bass and i personally recommend it to anyone for it's versatility and playability.

9. i can get a ray for about 1200GPS's

An FB4 will be about 1600GBP's

Price isn't really an issue (in that range). I am looking forward to my christmas bonus (Every good DJ deserves 1 ;) )

I am very happy with my 77 P-Bass but i want somthing that is a bit more lively. I figured that a graphite neck would fit the bill for me. Also that it is the sig of my hero......:p....lol

10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I wish I had your problem.

11. On the bassis i would not be able to try one out and the result of the poll i have decided to get a Stingray as opposed to a Modulus Flea bass.

Thanks for your comments.

:D :D

12. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    OK, I'm late to the party!! If I were in your position, I would have done exactly what you ended up doing.

Stingray's are here in great enough quantities for you to try a few and find one that you like (or maybe even a Sterling). The Flea bass is much harder to get, and you might end up stuck with one that doesn't feel great! I also remember that the review in Bassist magazine was that the FLea bass is a great bass if you want sounds like Flea and play like Flea, but maybe wasn't the most versatile bass in the world other than that!

Anyway, enjoy your Stingray!:)

13. I've played both the Flea bass and many stingrays pre-Ernie Ball and post i now own a Flea bass and i think it is very versatile. i've play everything from jazz to funk to blues to rock and more and love it great bass sounds tighter than a Stingray to me anyway.