Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I can't fight it anymore: I am getting a cel phone.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I have to get a cel phone; no way around it. What should I get? What providers are good? How are they going to screw me over? Any info at all would be nice, as I am an ignoramus (n00b) when it comes to things like this.

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I think that would be:

doo-doo-doot-doot-doot-d-doot-doot-doot-d-doot.

We don't tolerate bad grammar around here!:D

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I got my first cell phone...it's aiight.

4. Overall, I'd recommend Cingulair....they have some really good deals.

Stay away from Verizon at all costs though....They don't have very good support, and at the very least....that damn "Can you hear me now?" guy needs to go to hell!!!!!

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I personally like Nokia phones, and as I'm not really that familiar with other manufacturers, I'll stick to Nokias in this post.

So, if you want something basic just for calling and being in touch, the basic Nokia 1100 should be a durable and very nice phone. It has single color display and such. I think it's basicly an older 3210 in new shells with couple of extras (like a flashlight, which is a very handy feature in a phone me thinks), but 3210 was a very nice phone.

Nokia 2100 is slightly more advanced version, but still quite a basic tool.

For something more "youthful", there's 3200 for which you can cut your own cover pics, and it also has a cam, color display and polyphonic ringers.

If you are more of an outdoors guy you might want to consider a Nokia 5100, which is what I use at the moment, as it has a shock/waterproof rubber shell and stuff like java, GPRS, color display, polyphonic ringers, flashlight and such. No camera though. They also have a new "outdoors" model coming out in couple months, should have a cam and a compass.

Then there's the more business-style 6000-series if you are into that, and on the camera front they have new version of the rotary-dial&camera model out which is spiced with BlueTooth and numbered as 3660.

Why I chose Nokia this time was because even the other brands looked nice on paper, they had very plasticy and toyish feel to them in real life. Then again, so do some Nokias, so you might want to try how a phone feels in your hand before buying.

6. I'm going to sell out to my morals this Christmas and get one.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I still have mine. You've got to be strong and resist.

8. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    I don't get it... what's so noble about this cellphone resistance? I got one as soon as they made them under 1kg... :D

If Bell had had the means to make a phone that was not tied to a wall, I am sure he would.

9. Too many people have cellphones in this present day,also...they do to many little things.
    Example: I was playing Rainbow Freaking Six on my friend's cellphone that fit in the palm of my hand. It's sad.

I just don't see why alot(Not so much in your case,maybe) of people need a cell phone...

10. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I've got one of the cheapest plans and phones on the market. I've got Virgin Mobile [prepaid], when i say cheapest i mean that i am not paying by the month yet if you were to break it down it'd be under $10 [must put $20 on it every 90 days]. I have their "Party Animal" phone made by Kyocera. The most fancy part about it is that i bought a blue face plate for it.
    The phone for the most part lives in my glove box and back pack.

It's primarily incase something goes wrong e.g. i lock my keys in my car [i keep it in my pocket when i'm not @ school, and in my back pack while i'm at school], i've running late tell mom so she doesn't freak, i'm lost, i ran out of gas etc.

The good things about it: has a few games [2], downloadable ring tones [i have 3-smoke on the water, enter sandman, and sweet home alabama], a text message function-send a message to my email about a schedule change, Virgin Extras, and it's a phone that works and if it breaks-big deal i'm out of $50.

That's all

11. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I actually happened to hear a story on NPR this morning about the whole thing with keeping your cell numbers now, and one of the things that got mentioned was that Cingular customers were something like three times more likely to change providers than Verizon customers.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I live south of Seattle, AT&T has been really good to me for the 10 years I have been with them. The coverage is good here, not sure about your area though. I was in San Jose, Oakland, and Berkeley lasy tear and my cell phone worked great the whole time.

I would also recommend a Nokia. Motorolas work well also.

SMASH......what is BDSM? I find your opinions interesting. I work with a guy who calls cell phones the 21st century "ball & chain".

-Mike

13. av_rockstar

av_rockstar

Oct 4, 2003
    So. Cali.
    Yea, I agree.....Just got hooked up w/ Cingular myself. 1000 anytyme min. Free phone to phone, Blah,Blah,Blah.....2 flip phones 40.00ea. Not a bad unit.....hehe, I said "unit".....:eek:
    49.00 a month....

Jeff
    ----------

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree entireley with every word of this - it is very irritating on the train - where I used to be able to read quietly - to be bombarded with weird noise every few seconds!! :mad: Yesterday I was sitting opposite this asian guy who was messing with two of these things which played really loud and awful tunes as well as making noises every time he pressed a key - then he would virtually shout when he was having a conversation in some strange language, two feet in front of my face!! But he was oblivious to any dirty looks I gave him, as he was concentrating on his two phones more than anything around him!! :rolleyes:

I won't have one for work - as Smash says - if I'm at work, I'm at my desk and you can get my landline!! If I'm not at work, I don't want to be contacted wherever I am, thank you!! :mad:

Leave me alone!!

I think the popularity is people who imagine that they are somehow important if they just have to be contacted wherever they are - to me it just betrays a lack of real self-worth or self-confidence. Unless people want me all the time, I'm not worthy of existence!!

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Interesting viewpoint as well Mr. Lindfield. That's a mighty wide brush you are using to paint every cell phone user.

Take me for example...I work as a construction foreman, I do not have the luxury of sitting at a desk for eight or more hours a day answering my landline. So, do I have a cell phone because I think I am important? Or do I use one because I have no self worth or confidence?

-Mike

16. Bruce Lindfield

So - what did construction site foremen(women) do before mobile phones were invented - there have been many huge construction projects built successfully without the aid of mobile phones - so why are they suddenly essential? :confused:

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah, you're right. People got along just fine without telephones, cars, computers, DVD players, Pepsi, and airplanes also. I suppose we should get rid of them as well? They aren't essential. Or are you just picking on cell phones since you dont have one?

Devices like cell phones make peoples jobs easier, just like a fax machine, a landline telephone, and cars. These things are modern conveniences, and we all take advantage of them. But we can do it your way. Walk to work tomorrow, and handwrite all of your necessary correspondence and have the Pony Express deliver it for you.

-Mike

18. Bruce Lindfield

I think I made it quite clear why I was picking on them - they are very irritating!!

So - they pollute environments with noise and lead people to be rude to others a few feet away!

They mean you are not giving attention to what is in front of you - which is always rude but can often be dangerous!!

So - I have lost count of the number of times I have been crossing a junction and somebody has been turning "blind" in their car while having a mobile phone in one hand pressed to their ear!! :mad:

The other reason I gave is that Mobile phones control you - whereas it should be the other way round!!

email is very useful as it means people can contact you, but you control how you prioritise those messages and deal with them when it suits you. Whereas a mobile phone ring is saying - drop everything and answer me now!! :mad:

That leads to bad planning and fire-fighting - rather than proper prioritisation of tasks. They are for people who don't know how to plan properly!!

As Smash said :

"Need to arrange something? It can be done before stepping out. Not sure where the bar is? Look it up! Etc."

The most pathetic thing I have ever seen are those men on their phone to their wives at the supermarket - asking what they should buy !!

Beneath contempt! ;)

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Unfortunately, there are lots of people who have not mastered multi-tasking. I see how that can cause problems for those folks when they try to talk on a phone and drive, or even walk, at the same time.

Most mobile phones these days have caller ID. When the phone rings, check the caller ID and answer if you choose. It really is not difficult.

You have some very strong opinions on cell phones, I can respect that. However, you are way off base stereotyping every person that has one as "people who don't know how to plan properly!!".

I get a kick out of people who try to fight modern technology. People did the same thing when the car came out, when the mocrowave came out and when anything else comes out. You will own one someday Bruce. Make sure you call me first when you get yours. :)

-Mike

20. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I have a cell phone, but that's because I don't have a normal phone on my dorm..
    Sometimes I don't use it for weeks..