Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I can't find a cool looking bass!! Help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kingbrutis, Oct 13, 2003.

1. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    I am ready to buy a new bass. I think I am going to buy a fretless. It will either be a 4 or 5. I play a Schecter dimond 4 and like it alot. I have been searching for a cool looking bass. I like the flat black look or want some cool graphics. I know bass guitar's arn't like lead, but alot of them have cool graphics. I saw a clear body bass on e bay but, I didn't know anything about it. It is most important to sound good, but why are basses wood color, red, green, blue ect...? I have read that BC Rich's arn't all that good, but like it or not, they take chances with graphics. Anyway, I would hate to buy a new bass and make my own graphics. I want to play some funk and rockabilly with this guitar. Thanks Joe

2. Joe, there is a thread called exotic basses that has some great websites listed of bass builders who do some pretty "out there" bass graphics.

CLICK HERE

[​IMG]

Treena

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  4. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    If your looking for "cool"...for something with an original look, think Eshenbaugh! ;)

5. My Ibanez EDA900 is for sale... It looks REALLY weird. Like a silver spaceship, but like.... a squid too...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102342

check that link for more info.

If you wanted a wooden bass, google "atlansia". I've been thinking of using their pickups on a warmothy thing....

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yeah, that was (is?) a cool thread and those Tunes were cool; I was going to mention that but you saw it first...

Or: if you want some other kind of cool inlays&graphics, chek out Warrior (but I think it will be for eyes only, I dont think you would spend that much on them...)

7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    hmm... sorry, but the Warrior page has been "updated" and the Private Vault or King's Closet collection is no longer accesable...
    Anyway their site is here:
    Warrior

8. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Don't know what is 'cool' to you, but Warmoth will do this sort of thing:

[​IMG]

9. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
  10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    so, umm...which one? lotsa basses on that page, bro

11. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    Well, I havn't found MINE yet. I was just sayin, it's good to see something different and not the standard bass. I'm thinking I might customize one myself. I played ALOT of basses today and like the Carvin the best. The Warwick was nice also. Later Joe

12. You can have a bass made like this guitar!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Argghh - that is the antithesis of 'cool'!! ;)

14. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Well..at least we both agree on something.

However, since I have no idea what kingbrutis considers 'cool', I added to the choices available.

15. ROTFLMAO!

16. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    Well, here is my idea of cool. I have no idea what it sounds like but I like it. BTW, thanks for looking for me. Later Joe
    http://www.crystalguitars.com/index2.html

17. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    yeah, but $2000.... you can have a bass that is so much nicer than that for $2000.

you can have a bass that in 30 years you can look back on and be proud of, not a "fad" instrument. something well built that stands the test of time in design and aesthetical relevance.

18. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
  19. From the sound of the initial post, I get the sense that kingbrutis considers as "cool" the kind of basses that one would expect to find onstage with a heavy metal or hair band. The BC Rich basses, such as the Mockingbird, certainly fill the bill. Ibanez also seems to cater to this crowd. Even certain models from Gibson and Fender are designed primarily to look "cool" in this sense. (The Gibson Thunderbird, especially the Nikki Six model, and the Fender Aerodyne, come to mind.)

I would also direct people over to the "Fender historians, help me ID this bass" thread, where Mock Turtle Regulator has come up with a photo of a bass that looks like a big Stratocaster guitar. Outrageously cool. I'm also intrigued with the "Shark bass" marketed by the folks at Thomastic-Infield strings. Don't have a photo, but you can find it in the back pages of any recent issue of Bass Player. Also, everybody should check out the huge photo archive at Bunny Bass. Supposed to be a collection of "ugly basses," but some are actually quite beautiful. All are rather unusual. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the web page listed in my "Favorites" menu. Don't know what happened to it. I'm also surprised that nobody has said anything about Wishevski basses. To my mind, this is the quintessential example of a bass that is either a "piece of art" or a "horrible waste of wood," depending on whom you ask. Again, look for the ad in the back of BP.

For what it's worth, here is a bass that I've run across that I think looks really "cool." Different strokes for different folks, of course. YMMV

20. Here's another.