Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I cant find any "Bow Rubbers"

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by paganinibassist, Aug 29, 2005.

1. paganinibassist

paganinibassist

Jul 30, 2005
    THis most likely isnt worthy of a thread but why not! I have been looking everywehere for those little "bow rubbers", the ones that slide on the stick of the bow and then slip over the frog to help the thumb absorb some of the shock, and havent had any luck! Anyone know where i could find them!
    Thanks!

2. paganinibassist

paganinibassist

Jul 30, 2005
    Yes, it is Rubber Tubing i am looking for ...im almost 100% sure! There is no picture on the website so i shall call them tomarrow to make sure that is what i am looking for! THank you So much!!

3. Lemur has some, too. $4 for two.

4. Charles Shores

Charles Shores Commercial User

Jul 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Owner: Guitar Barre
    What exactly are those for? My friend's bow has one on it...I just notice that her bow is bulkier.

5. paganinibassist

paganinibassist

Jul 30, 2005
    The reason I want the Latex Grips are to help my thumb with a slight tension problem and for comfort basically, im not to sure if thats thier porpose or how! I hope they dont add to much bulk to the bow though as you have mentioned! I just hope that it helps me play with a little bit less pain in my right hand ...or something of that nature!

6. Last time I got my bow rehaired, the luthier had some and just put it on for me (free). about 5 years ago, I bought a YARD of surgical tubing (which is what this stuff is) from a surgical supply store for SEVENTY-FIVE cents. Do the math @ $2 or $4 for 2 inches. This stuff is invaluable for grip onto the bow, but also it's CHEAP so don't get ripped off. :)

7. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I have called around everywhere and the Hospital as well and still can't find any.. :help:

8. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
  9. G-force

G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    I think the sizes are too small.
    the size ltr-06 is too narrow. It is importnt to check the size.
    Surgical tubing of this size is difficult to find ,it should probably be id 1/2 inch and od of 3/4 with an wall thickness of about 1/8. 1/16 is too thin.

Maybe Im wrong , but I would check out Scuba supply houses
    The are good with hoses

10. G-force

G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
  11. BassicsMan

BassicsMan

Sep 17, 2005
    You can only order synthetic tubing (for the most part) in the US. The synthetic stuff can react differently with the skin, especially when sweating. I prefer real rubber because it is more spongy and absorbs more of the sweat than the synthetic. You can order pre-cut pieces of rubber from www.robertsonviolins.com but not from the website call the 800#. The real rubber is also thicker.

I find the added diameter and extra grip provides a very stable "anchor" for the bow hand which allows a more flexible aod diverse bowgrip. I have used the real rubber for nearly six years now and won't go back.

12. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Ok, got it from Robertsons. They were great to deal with as well.

Now that I have these new Bow 'rubbers', My Bass and Bow can do it together safely and as often as needed! No fear of spilling any Rosin at the wrong time..Pull in and out as you would normally.. :D < "Safe Bowing" >

13. G-force

G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    with all due respect I must say that the rubbers like anything else do not last forever. Of course it depends on how you use them. I had one on from Lemur and it lasted for about a year befor it started getting funky and shedding off in layers.
    Now I have one from robertsons and I hope it lasts as long.

Though the rubber from NM is a narrower gauge than Lemur as well as being a differnt sort of material.
    sorry for being so anal about this but there is a difference.
    Also robertsons will cut you any size you want. The lemur ones are on size fits all.

I wish though that both places had rubber that was like one mm smaller. Then it would be perfect.

Ken
    Don't forget to use talcum as a lubricant......

14. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Yes, Robertsons told me that too but I didn't have any when I went to put a 3" piece on my Bultitude. I used Baking soda.. Worked fine, neat and clean as well.

Yesterday I cut a Piece for one of my Eibert Bows and I didn't have any powder here. I tried rubbing the inside of a rubber glove on the stick and in the rubber but there wasn't enough powder in the glove. Then I went and did what I would of in the first place if no one had mentioned the talcum as a lubricant. I rubbed some of my 'Wax Polish' we use for our Oil finished Electric Basses here on the Stick and inside the rubber. It was 'in like Flint'!..

So, next Bow I put a piece on, I will use my Wax Polish. It is a mixture of Lemon Oil and Carnauba Wax.

15. G-force

G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    but wont that eat at the latex???

16. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    No, I don't think so. I make sure it's fed daily.. :)

17. BassicsMan

BassicsMan

Sep 17, 2005
    You must have gotten different rubber than I did? The rubber I got from Lemur was a much smaller guage than the one I am using now from Robertsons...I didn't need any powder to get it on. Not to mention that the Robertsons rubber came tapered at the edges. They don't crack or dry so quickly. One will last me about 1.5 yrs. I play at least one hour a day.

Also I have found the general service to be excellent from both Lemur and Robertsons....However Robertsons is MORE EXPENSIVE
    :)