Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I can't find info on this subject...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by atf487, Dec 8, 2003.

1. atf487

atf487

Nov 25, 2003
    Millis, MA
    ...So I wondered if I can have some help.

I don't really wanna mess around with a practice amp, seeing how I'd just need to buy a cab anyway. I like playing with headphones, so this is my question:

If I bought the Behringer BX3000T head, could I plug my headphones into the line-out, and use it until I have enough money for the cab?

I searched the forums and couldn't find anything, sorry if there was (I'm not very good with search terms)

2. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I don't know how you are using your headphones to hear yourself now, but if you wanted to use your head as a preamp, you might want to use the send/tuner section instead. That way, you can use the volume knob to turn it down, or up. I don't know if it will be loud enough for you or not. Its all millavolts at line level. It might get you by until you get the cab though. Watch your hearing.
    Wes

3. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    Id say it would be ok

4. atf487

atf487

Nov 25, 2003
    Millis, MA
    Thanks Wes, I have a pair currently that aren't very good, and am playing through a guitar amp :(

The send/tuner thing sounds like it should work, now that you say that.

5. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    It would be feasable if the Behringer can be run with no load on the speakers. Otherwise your looking at the delicacy known as fried amp.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I don't know if a line out has enough signal...and if it did you'd only hear your bass in your left ear (tip and sleeve are for the left, ring and sleeve are for the right).

I built an attenuator for an amp using an 8 ohm load resistor across the output and then a couple 1.2 to 2.2 Kohm resistors from the + side to the tip and ring of the headphone jack and connected the sleeve to the amp's - terminal. You have to be very, very careful with the volume control so you don't blast your eardrums out...

7. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
  8. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'd modify the schematic show a bit as it's designed for use with a stereo power amp (with the big warning about grounding). Your Behringer is a single channel so it's a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. There is no need for the switch either as you're just looking to connect your headphones until you get a cabinet or when practicing at home.

If I was building one of these for your amp, I'd double the resistance value of R3 shown in the table, connect it as shown from the junction of R1, R2 and R3 to the tip of the headphone jack (for the left headphone)and add another R3 from the same point to the ring of the headphone jack (for the right headphone).

9. atf487

atf487

Nov 25, 2003
    Millis, MA
    Hmm, if I wasn't so bad with wiring, I may try it.

I was just wondering if it would work off the bat though, looks like I should just get a Bass V-Amp (was planning on getting it eventually)and just buy the amp + cab together when money permits.

Thanks for the links though Billy, that may be a project for another day

10. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If you get the Bass Vamp, you could just buy a poweramp and cabinet and use the Vamp as a preamp...

I don't know how the bass amp models sound, but the Vamp2 and Vamp Pro are excellent guitar amp modelers...

11. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    You can buy something called a headphone tap for this purpose. It draws just enough from the speaker out to power a headphone, included (should) be a volume control too. It doesn't solve the problem of the amp not having a load drawn from it, that it something you will have to research to see if the amp can handle that or not.

12. atf487

atf487

Nov 25, 2003
    Millis, MA
    The bass V-Amps are supposed to be pretty good as well, I think. I was reading it's PDF manual, and it mentioned that it was a big improvement over the V-Amp 2.

But I did a quick search on poweramps, and it seems like they're more expensive then the one I was looking at. Know of any cheap models?

13. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Good used power amps are much cheaper than new ones. A pro quality power amp is something that you can keep forever, changing preamps and cabinets as your preferences change. In the long run you'd be better off buying a top quality high power power amp and you'll never need another...

14. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I like my QSC PLX2402..it's up to 1200 watts per channel at 2 ohms and 2400 watts bridged into 4 ohms...

15. atf487

atf487

Nov 25, 2003
    Millis, MA
    Yeah, if money wasn't so tight, I'd go out and buy one. I guess I'll get one someday, but for now, the 300 watt head doesn't look bad....

16. Make sure you buy used if you're planning on upgrading eventually. That way you can sell whatever you get for about the same (sometimes more) as what you paid for it in the first place whenever you have the money to get something a bit better.

I've gone this route, owned 4 different amp systems in the last 2 years, and none of them have needed anymore savings than the first entry level one thanks to the cash from selling the previous gear.