I can't for the life of me come up with a unique rhythm.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Tupac, Aug 9, 2013.

1. There's an infinite amount of notes.

2. L

3. The best and most unique rhythms, in my opinion, include a lot of rests.

4. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Agreed, although the eighth note figure in the bass clef part is not really a duplet.

5. Bainbridge

Bainbridge

Oct 28, 2012
    This, I understand. I'm pointing out that "rhythmic mode" has a definition that does not conform to the rotational procedure you are describing. You might not like it, and you might not like me, but this is the plain truth. "Mode" meant "in the manner/fashion/style of X" (like "ice cream à la mode") long before it meant "just do the same thing, but starting from the next step". You may not see the merit of this terminology, but trust me that it is used this way. In English language literature for Arabic music, for example, rhythmic mode refers to the rhythmic skeleton of a composition. Each rhythmic mode has a typical tempo and set of behaviors. The use of the term does not denote a rotational relationship between one rhythmic mode and the next.

http://www.khafif.com/rhy/rhyhist.html

The use of the word "mode" has become perverted by its persistent misuse at the hands of amateur musicians whose education on the subject never goes beyond the observation that "modes are the same thing as the C major scale, but starting at different places". They are remarking upon the rotational relationship of each relative scale, but are not calling it as such. Think about it for a second: all these old names, Dorian, Phrygian, Aeolian, are the names of islands in the Mediterranean sea. "In the Dorian style" is what is meant by "Dorian mode". The idea that Dorian mode is a "major scale starting from the second degree" is an idea wholly of the twentieth century. Mode and rotation have two completely different meanings. I realize that I alone am powerless to reverse this mode (!) of thinking, but that doesn't mean I'm going to sit by while words are used willy-nilly.

Hey, why the frustration? Victor Wooten can undoubtedly play circles around me (and most anyone on this forum), but I hardly see how familiarizing oneself with terminology, etymology, and history relates to playing bass, or performing music in general. Knowing the true meaning of a word is not going to make you play faster or more articulately, but it might reveal something that can enrich your thinking. As for the video, by all means, TalkBass forums, watch it. I've seen it. It is a good mental exercise and will really help you to get a handle on syncopation. I won't pretend that 2 and 2 make 5, though. Supposedly, there is an edict condemning misinformation on this board.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f22/important-rule-general-instruction-forum-please-read-520150/

6. bass12

bass12 Have You Met Grace Jones?

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Have you read Victor's book? Etymology is not his forte. :D

7. Bainbridge

Bainbridge

Oct 28, 2012
    Yeah, he does not teach through intellectualism. Nothing wrong with that, Debussy approached music in much the same way, but it's worth knowing that his words are coming from such a place.