1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I can't get no sleep...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Sublab, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Anyone else suffer from insomnia? It happens from time to time to me, just like today. Sometimes it will last a couple of nights in a row and then go away again. Then it comes back, and goes away again. I never really found an explanation for it though, even seen doctors for it. They prescribed sleeping pills, but I only took them a couple of nights and then stopped - they worked allright, but I felt messed up during the day because of them. I remember laughing uncontrollably at even the most unfunny stuff due to them.

Anyone have any tricks?

2. BelleNoireBass

BelleNoireBass

Apr 18, 2012
    Bay Area
    If you drink caffeine at all during the day try to stop before 3 p.m.

If you don't drink caffeine currently then try jogging in the early evening for a couple miles to wear yourself out or go for a bike ride. Anything to get your heart pumping for a bit and burn some of that energy off.

3. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Chew some valerian root.

4. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Don't Chew black root. It makes hair grow on your chest.

5. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    You're not your f@$&in' khakis.

6. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    unfortunately this generally leads to a discussion about stress or depression

7. For the win...

8. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    I occasionally will take some melatonin whenever I know I need a good nights rest and have the time to sleep for a solid 8 hours. The stuff knocks me out like a light. You can find a bottle of it at Walmart or Target.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Reading makes me tired. Maybe that will work for you?

-Mike

10. Looked it up, seems like a good thing to try. thanks

I guess my new bass coming in today certainly wasn't much of a help trying to get some sleep....:hyper:

11. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Some really great sex always works too.

12. BKuettel

BKuettel

Apr 8, 2011
    Oneonta, NY
    [​IMG]

Might be a little tastier then chewing on some plant material. ;)

13. Corbeau

Corbeau

Dec 14, 2011
    Australia
    I've tried non-prescription and prescription stuff for insomnia. One herbal mix I tried years ago worked really well - I think it had valerian root in it. It had a rather unpleasant smell, but it did help me sleep, so I would just hold my breath while taking it. Melatonin works well for a lot of people.

As for over-the-counter stuff, benedryl can work. Something like 100mg of benedryl can help your sleep.

As for prescription meds - I've tried Imovane [aka zopiclone] and I found it to be really good. I would take 7.5mg of it and I would be asleep in about an hour. I didn't find any hangover effect the next morning either. I think in the USA, there's an upgraded version of it marketed under the name Lunesta.

14. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    I have not slept a whole hour in years!! I go to bed early because i am up early. If I got to sleep at 10, I will see 10:15,10:30,10:40..ALL NIGHT it is like this, with every hour. I finally get pissed and get up because I am tired of trying, I have got used to feeling like a zombie all day. I have NO problem falling asleep, it is staying asleep that is my problem! My wife says I stop breathing, I know there are machines for this but without insurance I cant really do anything about it!

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Perhaps there is some community medical services you can take advantage of? I had the same condition. It is potentially fatal, so I really hope you can find a way to get some help.

-Mike

16. RedMoses

RedMoses

Jul 4, 2012
    NYC
    Def cut the caffine in the PM. Excercise really helps! and or Smoke a joint 2 hours before you want to go to sleep.

17. I can drink a (strong) coffee at night and I will still sleep. It seems to have a very short term effect on me. But my gf can't drink coffee in The evening or shell be awake for hours. Different people respond in different ways. So worth trying cutting caffeine intake.

Also +1 on the exercise.
    Do some exercise at night. Run, or lift weights, something that will tire you out. I used to exercise at night and I had the best and most resting sleep then.

18. Maybe you should practice sleeping :D.

No, but honestly, maybe you're just not busy enough? I mean I'm putting in a 10 hour day at work, running back and forth, doing all this paperwork BS, finishing up with that, I take an hour long visit to the gym, basically work up enough to sweat some, and I'm mostly done after that. I used to stay up til 5, sometimes 6 am, sometimes do still, but I can honestly say where I'm on a bit of a prohibitive schedule that keeps my mind penned, By midnight, I know where I'll end up.

19. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    you talking to me? Fatal? really? well that kinda sucks!! Thanks for the heads up if it is me you are talking to!

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yes I am talking to you. Yes it is fatal. What you appear to have, based on what you typed, is sleep apnea. Look it up online for more information.

-Mike