Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I can't get Sober to sound right...is it just me?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by FearOfGodX, Mar 5, 2002.

1. FearOfGodX

FearOfGodX

Nov 8, 2001
    I have been working real hard and practicing constantly trying to get good. I am able to play pretty much every Tool song note for note, but I still can't seem to figure out tones for some songs. A lot of songs I add some extra mid, and I use the rear pickup (whatever thats called) to get that real twangy kinda sound. Sober is a song that just drives me nuts, I know he slaps it, and then slaps muted notes, but I can't get it to sound anything like the album version, or the live version. What should my EQ be set to and all that stuff? Also, on a song like Schism, I can get it to sound pretty accurate, but there is a little bit of a, bright shimmery kinda sound on the higher notes. Any tricks to that? ANyway, just figured I'd consult the pros, adios thanks for any help. (mostly concerned with Sober here :D

2. I dunno about Paul, but I definitely know that Justin doesn't slap Sober. he plays with a pick and basically strums the strings whether they are muted notes or not.

I have never tried to play Sober by slapping it, but that is probably why it sounds wrong. Sober is the only song i play with a pick at the moment, plus I use chorus and delay while playing it.

3. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    slapping it is your first problem :)

he plays very hard with a pick, and he uses a little distortion to get it crunchier sounding

he also uses a Rickenbacker, which has a very unique sound, so thats part of your problem.... try adding mids to make it honkier sounding

4. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I think there's so many rumors about Tool,you'll never know how he plays it!

5. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    I play tool almost exactly like the CD...if my mic was hooked up and not in 20 pieces i'd hook you up with a recording of myself.

Here's what i do:
    Squier P-Bass plus Ernie Ball Power Slinky 110-55 strings in drop D tuning.
    Tune almost like a smily face - keep some mids - mids are important, but in Sober Bass/Treble combo are more important.

On the bass though I go to full tone, to get the fat tone. Slight distortion and chorus help too.

For picking (I use a .80mm all the time) its important to mute the lowD-D-and G strings at the 6 fret as to not hit any harmonics when you strum, hitting the D note at the A-5th fret, but still hitting every string in each up and down stroke.

That's pretty much it. It seems so simple, yet so genius! :)

Good luck, and PS - DONT SLAP TOOL!!!!!!!!

6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    trying to get paul's (and to a lesser extent, Justin's) sound picking aggressively is a challenge.

i really love just SWATTING at the string with my pick. it feels so...rewarding.

i wouldn't worry so much about getting your tone to sound EXACTLY like theirs. there really is no point. i would just try to approximate the sound to the best of my abilities (eq, technique).

7. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I always use to play it with a pick, and got very close to his sound. The intro is a chord, and he alternates between picking, then muting the strings and picking up and down to get that chucka-chucka sound.