1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

(I Can't GetNo) Satisfaction ACTUAL Bass Transcription

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by 156, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    I've re-listened to so many live version with Wyman on the bass, and it's always G natural.
    That's what I would play.

LeeNunn likes this.
  2. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    The following video shows Wyman's left hand position during Satisfaction.

3. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Another great example of the 3/b3 being used interchangeably is John Mayall's "Looking Back". John McVie plays the natural 3rd ascending and hits the flat 3 descending on the main riff of the song.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    design and cazclocker like this.
  4. Which do you people prefer:-

Playing that line off the E on the A string...or...playing it off the low E string?

cazclocker likes this.
  5. cazclocker

cazclocker My social skills are rapidly dwindling.

Oct 24, 2014
    Newton, Kansas
    I’ve been playing it off the 7th fret E on the A string all my playing life. But that’s probably because it’s the way I learned it, without bothering to check if it was right. Didn’t have YouTube in those days.

6. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    I rarely play open strings* unless the song demands them so for me it would be E on the A string.

* When I started playing in 1967 a guitarist told me "don't play open strings or chords". I was young and it was the only advice I was offered so took it on the open strings and figured that the the no chords part was to protect the rather inferior speakers that broke, rookie bassists had to use back then.

Our current singer often requests that we change key if he is struggling to hit high notes so not playing open strings makes this simple (he is in remission with bone cancer so I cut him plenty of slack).

cazclocker likes this.
  7. MuffledBoomy

MuffledBoomy

Apr 19, 2017
    Tulsa
    None
    I think it is ascending with a bent blue 3rd. That also explains the rhythm, how that note is a bit early and gets some funk on it.

8. 156

Oct 21, 2017
    Hey! Thanks to all the posters who chimed in & offered thoughts & ideas on this. Didn't think one weird note would generate a three page thread. Much appreciated.

cazclocker and Fat Freddy like this.
  9. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    I found this to be close to the Stone's song. The language may not be in English, but the music and sound is universal.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    design, cazclocker and Fat Freddy like this.
  10. cazclocker

cazclocker My social skills are rapidly dwindling.

Oct 24, 2014
    Newton, Kansas
    Very cool. Thanks for sharing that.

11. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Yeah....Thanks for sharing....Sounds close enough to me....:D:thumbsup:

12. Meghans Dad

Meghans Dad Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2016
    California
    Actually the stereo in those days didn't sound weird because most stereos did not have separate speaker cabinets but opposing pairs of speakers in in a furniture cabinet with only about 4 feet of separation, so it worked. Still wish I had my dad's old RCA set up-no chips, no transistors, all tubes. I think they would call the maple console "late mid-century modern".

13. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    You're too funny. YES it DID sound weird. I was there. I think I still have an early Beatles album that was done that way. That was actually due to the way the stereo was mixed in the studio. The channels were panned in extreme opposite directions as opposed to one channel being panned a bit to the left and one a bit to the right. They were cranked in opposite directions for great "stereo separation" and you still heard that weird separation on consoles.

NO not all stereo systems were consoles. Those consoles were every bit nice pieces of furniture, but they weren't the only solution and "Hi-Fi" consoles were around for a long time before stereo consoles became the norm. They didn't start out as being stereo but stereo consoles became popular AFTER stereo became the norm. Mono records were still be sold in 1965. My first copy of The Beatles Rubber Soul was mono. I traded it in to the music shop for a stereo recording before I opened it.

My older brother got a stereo for Christmas in about 1964 and it basically had speakers that would attach to the side of it for transport and were separated out for use. The central part had the turntable with built-in amp and there was a volume and tone knob on the front of the deck. I heard the Rolling Stones early albums on that stereo over and over and over again because our rooms shared a wall.

csc2048b likes this.
  14. Does it seem like a lot of YouTube stuff is just slightly off, as in sped up or slowed down but just a hair?
    Sometimes it seems things are a bit on the high (fast) side, but the same recording from a different YT place is low as in slower.
    I know radio stations will speed up songs slightly so that they can squeeze in more commercials over the day.

15. Stereo was weird back then.
    It was new and people didn't think they were getting good stereo unless everything was hard right, and hard left.
    Center channel sanity was only to come along later.
    Even worse, FM stations started to convert to stereo and weren't concerned much about the stereo phase relationships.
    That could get weird as well.

Rip Van Dan likes this.
  16. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Back in the day it was all Vinyl. I had a very high end Record Player From Elak in England. I had my jazz bass perfectly intonated and tuned up. When I would play most records, my bass was right in tune with the song. Rolling Stones was always out of tune. Same with Layla by Derek and the Dominoes. Youtube is hit or miss and depends on where the recording came from.
    Whenever I learned songs, it was usually an entire album just so I wouldn't have to keep re-tuning..

17. Meghans Dad

Oct 23, 2016
    California
    Still, it was a lot better than listening to records on a cheap portable record player-you know, the kind that f#$%@d up your record if the lid came down while you were using it! Besides, my mother was impressed that Richard Kiley sounded like he was on one side of the room and Diahann Carroll on the other! :woot:

18. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    I had one of these....Dansette Viva.....

upload_2017-11-17_20-6-48.

Didn't have it for long.......Luckily.....:D

Rip Van Dan likes this.
  19. 156

Oct 21, 2017
    The subjects of the evolution of stereo recording and playback systems, as well as what's up with intonation/pitch/speed on YouTube may be worthy of their own threads.
    I will say I've wondered about the YouTube thing. Putting aside stuff that was digitized from LP's or other analog sources...even simple digital files end up with phase issues and/or variations in pitch; perhaps tempo too, although I can't say I've thought about that as much. There seems to be weird degradation in the re-copying and/or uploading of digital audio files. I know from experience that recopying multiple generations of a song causes volume loss in CD burning, so I can easily imagine the transfer to posting online could have some negative effects. But in theory, digital files should reproduce exactly again and again. I can say for sure that YouTube files are sometimes out of tune with the original recordings. It's one of the reasons I use Spotify whenever possible to pick off songs in lessons. Would be interested to hear about a known cause.

20. Meghans Dad

Oct 23, 2016
    California
    I think one of the major reasons for pitch variables on YouTube downloads is the nature of 8 tracks and especially cassettes. The 1/8 inch cassette tape tends to stretch with time if played a lot, making the song a little slower and the pitch a little lower.