1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

(I Can't GetNo) Satisfaction ACTUAL Bass Transcription

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by 156, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    I agree. That was true, especially when cassettes first came out. 8-tracks used to always get tangled up and you had to become proficient at opening and operating on them, including splicing tape where some sections had been crumpled or stretched out. Cassettes were more reliable but they did stretch with extended use.

Originally the 8-track had better fidelity because the tape was moving faster past the playback head than a cassette tape (3¾"per second vs. 1-7/8" for the cassette). The faster the tape moves the more magnetic medium it can read. Then along came Hi-bias tapes and chrome tapes which allowed far more magnetic info per inch than the 8-tracks did, so 8-tracks died out. Neither of those mediums though had the fidelity and low signal to noise ratio that vinyl did.

Then along came CD's and that all but entirely killed vinyl. It has since carved out its own niche, but the quality of vinyl records now is far better than what was available in the US during their hey-day. If you wanted the best quality vinyl back then, you had to go for the imported albums as the worst of the imports were better than half of the domestic vinyl. That was primarily because they used the vinyl stampers only half as long as the US versions did. Now mp3's are the norm. They are not as high fidelity as CD's though and that has helped a bit with the resurgence of vinyl.

Fun stuff!

cazclocker likes this.
  2. TalkToMyBass

TalkToMyBass

Sep 19, 2019
    Toronto
    Hey there, to my ears he's using the G# ascending and the G natural descending. Using the G throughout just doesn't have the same 'lift" to it that the G# does. I've listened to lots of people play it as well using just the G but it doesn't feel quite right. It's the kind of riff that can use them interchangeably anyway on the ascending line but the G# is how I like to play it. It's not monotonous that way.