Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I can't hear anything

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Stu L., Feb 20, 2003.

1. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    OK, ok. I can hear. Just not my insturments thru my computer. Here's the deal. I got a new soundcard, Soundblaster 16PCI, and thought that either the mic in or the line in would take the pre-amp out from my head for recording. For recording, I have Storm 2.0. No sound comes thru. Is there a setting I have to activate? Or did the cheap soundcard do me in?

2. Check that the mixer panel (double click the speaker icon in the system tray) settings don't have the line-in muted. Also check that the recording settings (from the options/properties menu) have the line-in selected. It's weird that one has a checkbox to mute and the other has a checkbox to make active, but there you go...

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's been some time since I looked into Arturia Storm, but AFAIK you can't record audio with it. It's a MIDI synthesizer.
    People still confuse MIDI and audio. MIDI is just a protocol for controller data.

For the rest, what MKS said.

4. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Thanks guys. Try looking at Storm 2.0 though JMX. It's supposed to be better than the original (aern't all 2.0's ;) ) But it is a full recording package.

Arturia got it to me free to try it out. So, I thought I would. Thanks again guys.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Better read again. As I understand it, you can use/trigger samples with it, but no real audio recording. I only says import/export of samples, that's not the same thing.

6. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Double checking. If they mislead me, at least it was free! ;)