i can't hear mids.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cods, Jan 18, 2004.

1. cods

Sep 16, 2003
    it seems that my ear is incapable of hearing mids. on my ampeg, if i put all of tone knobs in the center, and move the mid knob around...i don't really here much of a change. it sounds just like treble to me. it may have something to do with my fender p-bass,because it's not the "midiest" bass around. :(. it seems,especially here, that mids are an important part of tone, but i can't hear them well.

could someone post sounds clips or something with contrasting tones to help me out?
  2. cods

Sep 16, 2003
    help me! i am mid-less!
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    hmm. I doubt you are incable of hearing just mids, usually hearing loss is associated in high end or low end or nothing at all.

You say that you don't hear much of a change, but then you say it sounds like all treble to you. Maybe it is perhaps your definition of the midrange. EQing to get your ideal tone isn't as easy as it sounds.

Also, a question, did you get your amp second hand?
  4. cods

Sep 16, 2003
    nope. i didn't get either the head, or the cab used.

i can here what happens when i mess around with the bass, and what it does with the sound, the treble to, but the mids just sound like....weaker treble.

whenever i try that experiment i don't do it very loud...maybe i should do it louder next time.

5. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    If you really worried, any Audiologist can do a hearing test. All you have to do is ring them and book a time.

However, the word "Mids" can be anyting between 200Hz and 2K, depending on who you ask. Maybe you're twisting the knob and expecting to hear 500Hz but you're amp's mid switch is set to 2K?

Are you able to play a song on your computer using Windows madia player. It has a graphic equaliser built in. Play around with the sliders and see if you can hear any changes. Just be aware that it takes a second or 2 for media player to process the new slider position.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It may not be anything serious, just build-up of wax - having your ears syringed makes a huge difference to what you can hear.

I remember coming out of the doctor's after having this done and thinking I was going to be run over, as the cars sounded so close!! ;)
  7. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Bruce are you sure they weren't swerving at you? ;)

Actually I've had the syringing done and I found it restored a lot of treble rather than mids.
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Seriously, this sounds like the most likely reason for what you are hearing. Fender P's are known for their low 'thud' - if you want a lot of mids - get a J bass!!
  9. cods

Sep 16, 2003
    i just ordered a conklin gt-7, but it will be here in a month.

i will try the thing with windows media player.

do having your ears syringed hurt?
  10. Bruce Lindfield

No - I found it quite pleasurable actually and there was an enormous feeling of relief, when I could hear properly again!! :)
  11. Second that...it's a pretty cool feeling...just warm water in your ears really. Actually it's something everyone should do at least once every couple of years, just like getting your teeth cleaned. And NEVER use cotton swabs to clean your ears!!

You'll be surprised at how much ear wax you had built up in there...
  12. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Usually low end amplitude is the last thing to go. Highs and mids are what are damaged the most. The damage to the midrange usually occurs around the 4kHz area, which sucks because that's where most of human speech is centered. (It's also not a coincidence that 4kHz is also the average resonant frequency of the ear canal.)