1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

i can't hear myself slapping in the rehearsal

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by david costa, Oct 19, 2013.

1. david costa

david costa

Jun 21, 2011
    hi ,i need help! When im slapping with my drummer i can hear my bass but when the guitars start to play i can't hear ... What it can be ? My strings ? My Eq ?

2. The sound coming off the string when you slap it has a lot of high frequency components. It wouldn't surprise me that the guitar drowns it out.

I don't recall many recordings with slap in them over guitar. The ones I can think of have the bass very much up front in the mix.

3. Have the guitars turn down!

4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    The guitarist is TOO LOUD!

5. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    If you own a compressor or can borrow one, try putting that in your signal chain. Sometimes reducing the dynamic range, overall, will have the effect of making the things that are getting buried sit better in the mix.

6. david costa

david costa

Jun 21, 2011
    its not a volume problem , when i play finger style i can hear me very good

7. Ewo

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Hey, OP--by any chance does your amp have a built-in limiter? I wonder if the pops and slaps are triggering it, while your fingerstyle notes are not.

I've sometimes run into amps that almost sound like they're shutting down when the limiter kicks in, the gain reduction was so abrupt. Always hated that, and avoided using them when I could. (On a long-term gig the BL bought one and made me use it, but it wasn't a rig I'd choose on my own.)

8. david costa

david costa

Jun 21, 2011
    How do i know if my amp has a build in limiter ?

9. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

Many players cut the mids when they slap. Are you one of them? If so, try putting those mids back in.

10. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

There'd be a knob for it on the front, most likely.

11. Ewo

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Hit the manufacturer's page, and find the manual for the model you're using.

Not meaning to Peavey-bash here, but it was an old TNT combo model I disliked so much, above. There was no switch to turn it off, no user control over it at all. The limiter was designed to save the speaker; I get it. But any time I needed to push it a little, more came out sounding like less.

12. Ewo

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    One last thought, from me:

When you're having trouble hearing slapped passages, your natural reaction (well, mine is, anyway) is to slap harder--the way you'd dig in harder, playing fingerstyle.

Try slapping _lighter_, instead. If there's something in your signal chain that's reducing gain in response to a spike in level, this might mitigate that.

13. david costa

david costa

Jun 21, 2011
    i have a peavey headliner 410... can be it ?

14. spz8

spz8

Jan 19, 2009
    Glen Cove, NY
    I've had this issue as well. First realize that if slap/popping in a rock band setting, you'll need to choose your moments wisely. If the guitarist is playing with a heavy O/D, big power chords, or hovering around the lower ranges where you may be slapping (Open E typically), you will likely be buried every time. When the guitarist is playing more solo/melody type passages, these are your slap hot spots. Second, if you're running compression (and most great, balanced slap sounds use comps), you REALLY need to understand the use of the Threshold, Ratio, and most important (IMO) the Attack and Release controls, if available. If the comp's attack time is too quick it will clamp down like a vise and smother your line. It takes a bit of practice, experimentation, and listening. Some other points are don't completely scoop your mids, and the more dominant the bass is in the mix, the less you'll get lost. Good luck! :bassist:

15. ex-tension

ex-tension

Jun 11, 2009
  16. david costa

david costa

Jun 21, 2011
    the guitarrists do use overdrive , but even with the clean sound sometimes i can't hear me

17. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Supporting Member

That was great, thank you! Subscribed--thanks for asking the question, OP.

18. david costa

david costa

Jun 21, 2011
    i can see that im not the only one with this problem xD