I can't hear myself

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JWC, Jan 26, 2001.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Does anyone ever have the problem that when playing, you can't really hear youself that well or at all, even if you have a monitor. I tend to play harder when I can't hear myself and thats a bad habit. Any suggestions on hearing yourself better. Its frustrating when you can't.
  2. j,
    Try a bigger/louder amp?
    If you already have an adequate amplifier try boosting the low mids in your Eq.I've found that most bass players ignore the low mids.If none of this works turn that baby up until you can hear it! Your sound should punch right through ; )

3. I can't hear fullstop! Went to a gig last night, forgot earplugs hmmmm :D

I had the same problem, so i put my 4x10 cab on some old milkcrates. that way the cab was up more around chest/waist height. that way instead of hearing it, one feels it more. I feel it in my calfs and chest, and the higher notes creep through to hearing range.

I also wear earplugs to filter some of the crap from the guitarist. lololololol

Seriously, earplugs cut out a fair bit of unwanted noise. eg cymbols over ringing, whining guitar solos etc.
  4. I don't play loud gigs any more but I do have trouble hearing myself and staying balanced at times. My solution lately is to use an amp stand an angle it so I can hear, since bass is pretty omnidirectional the audience an other band members can still hear me well enough. Getting your cabs up to where you can har them is my best suggestion.
  5. Hmmm...when my band was playing at our school fair in about October of last year, I could hear myself perfectly well when we played Californication :)D) but when we played Inside Out, I could barely hear myself, so I also started playing harder. Then when I asked the guitarist in one of the other bands if he could hear me, all he had to say was "Yeah! That was almost all I could hear!" :p Oops... :D
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There were a few articles in Bassist magazine and I have experienced this myself many times -it's a pretty common phenomenon. The magazine's solution and one that I tried myself and found it worked, was to put your cab on a purpose-built stand. The stand raised and tilted the cab so that it was pointing at your head. If your cab is on the floor pointing at your ankles, you have very little chance of hearing it, unless you go and stand quite a long way in front of it. If the sound is raised to head height, then it's much easier.

Now I've seen people using things like stacks of beer crates to lift their cab or combo up, but to me this always results in a reduction of bottom-end bass, whereas the stands maintain an acoustic connection with the floor, so this doesn't happen. As I've mentioned - the only other solution, seems to be to stand a long way in front of the amp/cab.