I can't hear myself!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sev.Moe, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Sev.Moe

Dec 15, 2005
    I have a musicman sting ray, a behringer 3000t with a ba410 cabinet and I use a boss gt-6B. My band has two guitar players ( they usually are using distortion) and when I start slaping I just can't hear myself. If I'm not slaping I can hear me just fine. I got this bass very recently so it's probably a matter of EQ but anyway. any sugestions?
    Thanks in advance.
  2. Mids people say this all the time but boost the mids im not entirely sure why just slapping because it should let you be heard better so im not sure but try boosting mids and lowering the bottom end a bit.
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'm going to move this to the Amps forum because that's where I believe you'll find your answer.
  4. Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I played one of those heads through a 410 @ 8 ohms for awhile against two half stacks and a loud drummer, you definitely need to adjust your EQ and you should shine. Do you have the tweeter on? Try to play with the different boost buttons, and remember that the shape button is kind of like a mid scoop and boost knob.

Basically, play with your EQ.
  5. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    when trying to get more mids don't forget to try turning down the bass or treble some too, maybe start with eqs at 12 and go from their. the reason for my suggestion is if you are running out of volume, too much bass will suck the amp dry quicker than less bass, that leave more for mids.

RULE OF THUMB: what sounds good at home playing solo IS NOT usually good for band situations. (was that really a "rule of thumb"? )
  6. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Stand farther away from your speakers. Guaranteed, you will have an easier time hearing yourself.
  7. Sev.Moe

Dec 15, 2005
    Thanks. I'll play with my EQ :hyper:
  8. Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    great advice. i wish my guitar player would head it.
  9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Also, if your cab is only 8ohms, you are not getting the full 300w out of that amp!
  10. uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    I don't know if you slap all the time of course, but you could also consider getting your hands on an EQ pedal.

I don't slap at all myself, that's just not my cup o' tea, but from what I've heard you should roll back the mid and boost the highs for slapping (correct me if wrong) So basically just have an EQ pedal set with the mids rolled off, highs boosted and the volume just a tad louder than the normal volume and just hit it for the slapping parts ?

I guess you should cut through this way, but as I wrote; i'm not a slap-a-holic, so it might be a bad suggestion :D
  11. Borrow a high quality wireless so you can hear what you sound like from the audience position.

If you still cannot hear yourself, turn down the damn band. You probably have a pair of deef geetar players who are cranked to 11.
  12. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    A nice compressor pedal might help you hear yourself better. I rarely gig without my trusty EBS MultiComp.
  13. 7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    Distance helps too. Good luck.
  14. firebass 1

firebass 1

Dec 16, 2005
    Guitars in a small room tend to add whats I call "sound pressure". Picture sound waves in a room with no place to go. They eventually get garbled up to a point where it interfers with bass frequencys. You have a couple of choices: 1, Turn it up or put your cab on a stand so that your sound wave is audiable. 2, have the guitars turn down. Either way the bass must be heard in any band. If your band wont turn down you have no choice but option 1 in which case may mean you need more grunt...
  15. Sev.Moe

Dec 15, 2005
    My gt6B EQ is just 3 band. What do you think about BOSS GEB-7 Bass Equalizer and Behringer's bass EQ?