Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I can't play anymore!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Pantsman, Oct 8, 2005.

1. I'm pretty sure this thread has been done to death, but I am going insane and I couldn't find any help. I recently moved house and I am under a bit of stress, I hadn't picked up my bass for about 4 days untill just before and I can't play anymore! Maybe I just have to slow things right down and go back to basics for awhile, I dunno, but I don't feel like playing because I can't, if that makes sense. I think maybe some GAS therapy is needed, that and to actually start jamming with other people and get some lessons. I'll see if that helps, maybe some new material will help me, if anyone knows of some songs that would be good for me to play to get back into bass please tell me! I am not a very good player (yet) so something simple would be good. I also have to lose that beginner mentality of playing lead bass lines and start to groove, so songs with deep grooves would be good too.

BTW, this new show on Channel 10 in Australia called Spy Game is pretty darn good, its probly old news in the Us though :D

Sorry for the long post and thanks to anyone who reads this and even more thanks if you reply :p

2. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    Hey mate!!!
    It happens to many imstruments player....you can't be inspired and be in the mood every single day.
    I'm sure you didn't loose your play abilty in 4 days so i guess
    it's just the stress of this period in your life that disturb your play abilty.
    To learn a new song is a good Idea it will give you a reason to practice...which song i can't tell you it depends on what style you like to play , there is a nice archive of tabs for bass here TB , go over it and see if you can find songs you like.
    Another thing that works for me when i feel stuck is to learn a new technique or improve one i'm not so good at because it's a great filling when you finally succeed on using the new technique ...but that's not for everyone because learning or improving technique can be very frustrating so maybe stick with the new song learning.

Tab archive

Hope you'll get over this crisis quick.

Salute
    Adisu

3. When I feel that way, I put the instrument down and catch up on my music theory. Stress affects people differently. When things return to normal, Im sure you will play better.

4. I forgot to mention, I have been like this for the past 3 days, I think on Monday I am going to the Music store and trying out the old school Marshall stack, 810 and 400watt all tube head ($5400 for the both!!). I don't care what style, I'll take a shot at anything. Oh wait, I start my new job Monday, dang. Now i can't find my EQ pedal either!! Thats another problem I have, I was never into music until I bought a bass and amp on a whim, so I don't know much about theory, I tried to teach myself but gave up, I am going to fix this but i can't right now.

Anyways thanks for the support guys, I am going to google some stuff and hopefully the lightbulb turns on.

5. I've been stuck like that for about a month, but thank god my music lessons started again in september. I've been doing better since, and I've got a gig coming up on october 31st, so that's motivating.

What I do a lot when I get stuck in a dont-feel-like-playing phase is work on my sound. I'll mess about with the EQ dials ("lets turn this, press that and see what is sounds like") and such. Just relax:) You might be worrying a tad too much.

6. Tyler_The_Hate

Tyler_The_Hate

Apr 9, 2005
    maybe try another instrument.

7. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I had a period like that. I think it was two or three months, when everything I played sounded like crap. My tone, my technique, my imagination, everything felt like it was gone. I also had a period where I simply was fed up with bass and quit playing altogether for 8 months. Guess what, I found my way back both times. :) So don't sweat it, just relax and let it take the time it takes.

8. I am actually planning on buying a guitar once I start work again, as well as a bass amp seeing as I don't have one yet. Then lessons for the bass and leave the gutiar as my hobby thing.

9. I have an old guitar and I bang on the drums every now and then, but I know I'll keep coming back to bass every time. You should take a break from everything you do every once in a while, so I just relax and do some ohter stuff.

10. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    My advice is not to worry about it and keep practicing. Don't force yourself though. Practice when you're inspired, if you find that you lose your concentration, put it down, but try to practice every day. It will work itself out.

I go through slumps all the time. The only thing that's worked for me is putting in a lot of practice.

I do remember one period when I was in my late teens that for some reason I just couldn't play anymore. This went on for about a month, and I practiced every day during this period. It really worried me, which was of a vicious cycle; the more I worried, the worse it got. I then started playing in bars and all of a sudden I could play again; I can't explain it. Maybe it was a 'trail by fire', I don't know. I've never had such a terrible slump like it since.

Best wishes, -Art

11. Firstly I'd just like to thank you guys for the support :D *getting all emotional*. I think I have figured out the source of my problem, I really want to move to the next level with my playing but I can't get there by myself, so I am going to relax and just go back to fooling around on my bass and 'try' less. That is until I can start my lessons, then I'll throw myself into it.

12. ITS BACK!!! i rented VHS from the library called Teach Yourself Electric Bass, I only watched the first 10minutes and my love of bass is back. I already knew the Major and minor scale but I didn't know what to do with this knowledge. The dude on the video said 1-5-6-5 and played that, then he said to move the key C G D and OFMG blues!!!

He he, I can't wait to watch more of this video tomorrow after work, i might even wake up early :p