I cant read the resistance of the pot!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dudeonthebass, Mar 7, 2010.

1. dudeonthebass

dudeonthebass

Jul 2, 2008
    St.Osyth
    Right, im trying to read the resistance of my pot (using the 2 outter lugs) but i can get any reading :(:meh:

When i take the pot apart, and use the actual inside "track", i get a reading. :spit:

What can i do to get the lug "working" and to save me another £4 :crying:

2. Why can't you read the value of the pot?

Is your ohm meter functioning correctly?

What are "the 2 out lugs"?

3. 251

Oct 6, 2006
    Metro Boston MA
    Either the rest of the circuit offers Zero resistance when you just touch the outside lugs - or - you need to rotate the knob fully to the other stop. Best practice is to remove the 3 wires from the pot to measure its resistance.

If the circuit reads Zero, you are either reading the DC resistance of the pick up coils or there is a short elsewhere in the circuit.

4. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

I think you should be using the middle lug and one of the outer lug to get any reading. Depending on what outer lug you're using, you should get reading either clockwise or counter clockwise.

5. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Read across the two outer lugs with the pot out of the circuit.

6. dudeonthebass

dudeonthebass

Jul 2, 2008
    St.Osyth
    Right, i got the lugs working, that wasnt touching the circuit well enough

I took the pot apart, and was able to measure, but i got differenct measurements from when i measured from the 2 outtar lugs and from when i measured right and the ends (opposite, obviously :p) of the actuall track ( the black track)

Photo_00001.jpg

7. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

What you care about is the reading at the outer lugs. That's what the circuit sees.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021