Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I cant read this note

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Coward Of Reali, May 28, 2005.

1. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    I'm doing some sight reading and theres of course the E on the very bottom of the line. But in my GD Anthology book I always see this note pop up thats lower than the E and has two or three lines across it (Like the notes higher than the high C). Are these notes for five strings?

2. jadesmar

jadesmar

Feb 17, 2003
    Ottawa, ON
    When you are reading for bass guitar, the instrument sounds one octave lower than is written. If you are reading a piano or cello transcription, this means that notes will be written an octave below where you are used to reading them.

Or, we can say this.

Middle C, which sounds at the 17th fret of the G string would be written (for non-bass players) with one ledger line above the bass clef.

This means that the 2nd line from the bottom of the bass clef would be one octave below middle C and fretted at the 5th fret of the G string. And the C that is on the 3rd fret of the A string would be written with two ledger lines below the staff.

On a bass guitar transcription, the notes sound an octave lower than written. When you see a "middle C" with one ledger line above the staff, you would play at the 5th fret of the G string (for example). And notes with ledger lines below the E would be only playable on a five (or more) stringed bass.

3. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    Thank you that really clears it up.

4. pff middle c. more like piano's middle c am i rite

5. jadesmar

jadesmar

Feb 17, 2003
    Ottawa, ON
    Well, yes, but you are mistaken if you believe that the notes on the staff are based on piano scores.

I would say more like a high baritone or low soprano singing voice.

6. The note right under two ledger lines under the bass clef is B (lowest string of 5), under 3 lines is G (cannot be played like that, you have to do it an octave higher)
    Ladybass

7. Ladybass :

It seems that i'm not the only one from Luxembourg ! Welcome to TB ! PM me if you want

sorry for the off topic rant... :D