1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I can't remember what kind of bass this is

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BioDriver, Apr 17, 2009.

1. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    So I was watching the video for "Little Sister" by Queens of the Stone Age when I saw Troy van Leeuwen's bass. I remember thinking they looked pretty cool (which they still do) and wanting one, but when I tried remembering who made them I totally blanked. Any of you recognize it?

I know it is NOT a Danelectro or Reverend. And yes, the pickups are tilted.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    That's a Mosrite "Ventures" bass, or one of the many clones of it.

3. JoeBelc

JoeBelc

Apr 6, 2008
    Pekin, Illinois
    Look here I have been thinking about getting one of these myself as I learned how to play on something real similar.

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Aria made copies of the Mosrite bass in the Matsumoku factory (I have one); that model became the Univox Hi-Flyer, also produced in the Matsumoku factory. Eastwood currently makes the same model. The Wilson model's advantage would appear to be endorsement by the Ventures.

5. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
  6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The one thing the originals have over the copies IMO, aside from just "being the original", is the pickup(s). The pickups on the Mosrite are super funky and unique sounding. So any of the copies are fine for getting that "look", but if you hear somebody playing an original Mosrite and want to emulate that tone, the copies just won't do it.

7. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    [​IMG]