Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i cant scream ;/

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    all i can do is scream really raspy sounding, which is easiest for me and it sounds good. i can nail eyehategod/iron monkey-esque vocal tones but i really can't do anything sounding like a deep groar or anything hardcore-esque without it sounding like im struggling and my vocal cords are being torn apart. it feels like it, too. :( any tips?

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

We had a similar discussion of how to achieve the low frequency growl common to certain death metal and heavy metal vocalists a few months back. I can't remember the title of the thread, but you might try to do a search. It contained a lot of good advice.

I'll repeat what I said in that thread. If you try to sing regularly at a level substantially below your present natural range, you may do serious damage to your vocal cords. You can even develop nodules that may require at the very least extensive rest to to point of not talking at all for days or weeks or even to the extent of requiring surgical attention.

How do I know this? It happened to me. That's how I know.

A vocal coach can help you lower your natural range with vocal exercises and methods, but you cannot abuse your vocal cords beyond what they are naturally capable of producing for you.

There's another problem, too, with trying to sing at an octave far lower than you are naturally capable. It is harder to maintain proper intonation and one tends to sing too flat. Also, the voice loses its expressiveness.

In short, you have to protect your vocal cords. You can strain them just as you can strain muscles and tendons. You can even cause severe damage. Get a vocal coach if you feel you absolutely must get that heavy metal growl.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
  4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've found that when I record the rare screaming track, it's best to scream quieter than you would think. It doesn't take much to get the vocal cords to distort, and if you scream too loud the voice becomes unintelligible.

My voice is pretty high, so if I need some grunt I run it through a pitch shifter, moving it down a step or two. The added grainy-ness that occurs when this happens actually adds to the effect. Then I add a pinch of distortion or fuzz and BAM! I'm a scary mother.

5. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    For death metal type singing make sure you sing from the diaphram and not the throat. Also, just barely open your mouth until you can develop a good sound. A lot of people kinda stick their lower jaw out too, I don't know if it really helps but it makes you look meaner :)

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yep. Kinda weird when the whole band is rocking out, and it sounds like you're trearing a cat apart through the PA, when in reality, you're essentially talking, if that. Funny.

7. BassJaro

BassJaro

Jul 30, 2003
    thanks for that link Brendan, there's some great advice there. i've been doing death metal vocals in my band for a few years now, and never had any problems - in fact, it comes very natural to me, but i definitely don't wanna end up mute.......gotta be more aware

as for the technique, i would use diaphram to get the growl sound. i also found out that you have to do it on a regular basis to feel really comfortable with it - when i'm in a good form, I can growl every day without any pains.