I can't seem to choose my style...jazz/funk/rock????? What bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xolin, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Hey, right now I own only a brice passive six string. I can get some nice jazz tones using my amp eq and some good funk tones. I also like to slap, but not ideal on this bass (sounds kinda llike claypool at times, but not always useful for reg funk). I also play rock, but not a sound im looking for. I want to get a new bass (or new pups for this but i dont think so), and was looking for either a fretless (6 prob) or something for slap like a musicman or an urge (which is jazz/slap). However, money constraints (about 750 canadian is what i have for it) and indeciciveness hurts. Help???
  2. Well, what kind of music do you like to listen to?
  3. Kruser

Aug 13, 2001
    What about the alltime favourite fender jazz?
    It gives you good tones for all your needs!
    Good fingerstyle tones and good slap tones.
    Uh just read you mentioned the urge. You mean the fender urge bass, dont you? It actually is a jazz bass, just a bit "enhanced". (not all people like the changes Stu hamm wanted)

The musicman............stingray will give you a monster slap tone (IMO) but i wont use it for jazz............i your case I would try the sterling(cost in canada? In germany its above your limit), 'cause it has more different tones as i heard.

Maybe you want to check a spector? good rock and slap tone!
  4. Well, as for music i listen to:

Jazz, jazz fusion (aldimeola,etc), rock, funk ala bass virtuosos, and funk fusion. Also love death metal n stuff but my six and my pd-7 distortion with bass boost is good enough for that easier stuff.
    I tried out the original urge (short scale w 24 frets) and loved the tone, weird, but still amazingly easy to play chords (nice sound) and slapping was pretty easy. (I played the san fran solo on it w/ love thing, moonlight sonata, sexually active and country music (which is the only part I cant play half decent) and it was 10x easier to play and sounded great, plus the jazz settings are nice) ITS OUT OF MY PRICE RANGE. Unless i get one for like 300 can at a pawn shop (ive seen one before i played bass, damnit)
  5. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Maybe you should get a used czech spector. If you can find one in your price range... then its great..

And if you are willing to forget the excess strings(no offense :D) a used kawai alembic copy would be good too. It has a beautiful pluck sound. Slap is also good but pluck sound is really something.

I can't recommend a new bass sorry. Hope it helps.
  6. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    It sounds like you're in good situation - some (although not unlimited) funds available and no urgent needs. For the moment, keep your eye on whats for sale, new and used, in your area and play as much of it as you can.

If you find something really good that you can afford, grab it an let that shape your direction but don't worry if it takes some time. Meanwhile, I'd also suggest looking round for more chances to play out with other people - that in turn will influence the kind of instrument you need to look for.

ps. BTW, you may find that a new set of strings is enough to get the kind of slap sound you're after - that would certainly be something cheap to try while you're making up your mind on a bass :D