1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I can't seem to find the right knobs

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by J0ttem, Apr 29, 2010.

1. J0ttem

J0ttem

Oct 2, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Hi there,

I recently bought a Geddy Lee Jazz Bass (CIJ) and modded it with black hardware.
    I also wanted to change the knobs into black Pbass-style barrel/dome knobs. The pot shafts are solid, I did some seach on the internet about guitar knobs, and it apprears there are 2 sizes, 6mm and 1/4". I ordered both kinds to see which one fits, however, neither of them do.

So, I'm pretty clueless right now, are there any knob/pot sizes I don't know about? Or do Jazz basses have a specific pot/knob-hole size? Also, does anyone know where I can order knobs with the right size? All I find are 6mm and 1/4" knobs on Ebay.

Thanks in advance

~

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Might be easier just to change the pots themselves to the knob shaft size you desire. Passive pots are cheap, and soldering is easy.

3. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Solid pots - are you getting knobs with a set screw, or just the knobs that pop on?

You'll need knobs with a set screw on them.

4. J0ttem

J0ttem

Oct 2, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Hmmm I never did that before, but I might give it a try if I can't find any other solution.

I've got 2 different knobs, the 6mm one doesn't have a set screw (but I guess it's designed for split-shaft pots).
    The other one, with the 1/4" hole, does have a set screw, but the pot-shaft is still too large.

5. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    So Cal
    Are you willing to try self-modding-your-knobs by using a drill bit, reamer, appropriate file, or sand paper to slightly enlarge the pot-shaft hole so that your set screw knobs will fit?

The worst case scenario is you hose up a few knobs:eek:

6. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    At this rate, I'd say get new pots - they'll likely be cheaper than knobs. I've never heard of that problem before, but if you can replace them with CTS pots, it'll be a one-time issue and you'll be able to put new knobs on them as often as you'd like with no issues.