Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I can't set my volume to "off"

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Dec 26, 2002.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I was playing my Jazz bass today, and when I put it on the stand, I heard the strings ringing. Thinking I didn't turn the volume knobs all the way down, I checked them, and sho'nuff, they were all the way down. So I pick up my bass and found that I can play with both volumes all the down, and still hear it. It's about a quarter as loud as having the pickups wide open. Wha? :confused:

I'm going to pop her open tonight and poke around and check the soldering, but I cannot for the life of me imagine what would cause this. It's never done this before, and I just replaced the pots last month.

2. How'd you go? Check that its wired correctly too..

:D:D

Merls

3. well my jazz do that too, really low in volume though. I think its just built into the construction..

4. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

Did you star ground the cavity?

It sounds like you've got a bad ground on the volume control.

If you soldered all of your grounds to the back of the volume control, look closely there. It takes more than a pencil iron to get a good solder joint there.

5. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    A fellow bass player owns a fender jazz and its never shuts off.

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Well, I opened her up last night (I've been busy :D) and checked all the wiring and everything is where it should be. I was using a wiring diagram that came from Stew-Mac, and it all checks out.

I'm not sure what you meant by "star ground", but as it is, I think I might have a cold joint on the ground at the neck volume control. I will go in and re-solder it and see what happens.

7. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

8. I've had trouble soldering to pots before. I found filing the top a little with a small file helps. Its what the pot is made out of, prevents a good solder joint. Often i have soldered to the back of the pot and the vibrations just shake it loose.

Good call on the star grounding. Thats done in many amps. It also reduces Hum because all grounds are tied to the same point.

:D:D

Merls