Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I can't take my strings off!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SLiGhTLy_STooPiD, Aug 30, 2001.

1. My friend let me borrow his (costly) custom Carvin String-through bass while he's on vacation and I can't get the E and A strings out through the back!

The D/G strings came out very easily but these other 2 seem stuck. when my hands started to hurt trying ot pull em out, I got a pair of pliers and tried yankin them around, but to no avail.

What should i do? Disassemble the bridge? :eek:

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Use a pair of *wire cutters* and clip off the strings where they've curled around the tuning posts. After the curls have been removed, they should come out without any problem.

3. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Are the strings stuck at the tuning pegs, bridge, or at the holes through the body?

4. You see, i've unwinded them already. they're just stuck in the string furrels(sp?) at the bridge because it's a ""string-thru"" body. The strings go into the back of the bass...

5. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Just shove a toothpick down the hole from the bridge side, that should push the ball out the back of the body.

6. Kept breaking the toothpicks, so I got very p'd off and jammed an allen wrench in there. They are finally out! Luckily, the bass came out without a scratch. thanks everyone