1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I can't take the news anymore

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by emblymouse, Mar 4, 2008.

1. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Sorry, I'm needing to do an emotional dump and i don't have anywhere else to go.

The world has got me down big time right now. Currently on CNN online you can watch a video of a marine abusing a puppy, see a 3 yr. old girl who was forced to get drunk by adults, read all about not one, but 2 mass murders of families including children as young as 5 being stabbed to death. Oh, then there's the innocemt people slaughtered in that wendy's.

*** is up w/ the world?!

2. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    To avoid disappointment with the rest of mankind it helps to avoid approaching its members under the assumption that they are anything other than the pedophile, wife/husband-beating, booger eating, midget throwing, baby slapping, seal clubbing, retirement fund embezzling, disease spreading, vulgarity spewing morons that they probably are.

3. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    That's just silly! Booger eating? That seems a little far fetched.

4. Bad news sells.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Exactly.

6. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    Hi, welcome to life. It sucks.

The end.

7. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Booger King is going to be angry.

8. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Bad news gets viewers, viewers get commercial sponsers, commercial sponsers pay the bills.

9. *smb

*smb

Nov 26, 2006
    Do you have a children's channel that shows a news program? That's always uplifting - stories about charity work and rescued pets.

10. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    The world is no different than it was five, ten, fifty, a hundred, a thousand, etc years ago. It's just that reporting is getting more real-time. And the other posts which suggest that the public is more likely to click on the Marine throwing the puppy off the clip than the current status of NASA's various projects or a story about an actor who has yet to be divorced are right on.

Cheer up, it's not all bad stuff out there.

11. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Today I almost missed the turning lane and a kind lady let me get in front of her so I wouldn't miss the freeway onramp.

Tomorrow I'm going to drive 1.5 hours through traffic to deliver free psychotherapy services to adolescents.

My wife, despite working over 70 hours per week in her private practice, delivers, once per month, free acupuncture to low income women with advanced stages of cancer.

Glide Methodist Church, in San Francisco, has been feeding and housing the homeless longer than I've been alive.

Bread and Roses is a local organizations that hires bands to put on volunteer shows for needy individuals in underserved communities and populations.

There are a huge number of volunteer organizations that do great things, everyday, for people in need.

Also, most people are good, doing good things and trying to be good people as often as they can. If you think the news is the only story, look around. There's plenty of good around.

12. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    /thread

These stories get a 2 minute spot on the news as the obligatory "feel" good spot.

What I can't take is other TB'er just regurging those sad news lines on here I try so hard to avoid :meh:

No offense, but I don't need the random bantering and repeating of horrible headlines.

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home? - Metallica.

14. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    that marine tossing the puppy is fake BTW

Look at it. Even when he's winding up to toss, it stays the same, it doesn't move its legs or anything, it stays it the same position. Either its fake or dead. Some of these soldiers have been in the war quite some time. They have become desensitized to this, to them its like squishing a bug.

Gah. Don't trust what you see on the news. From experience I know the media lies. My father is an editor for the local paper, but he used to work at the Globe and mail (canadian newspaper) hes openly admitted they would run stories before all the facts were there. CNN does it all the time, BBC does it. CBC...Hell...global does it. They don't have to apologize, they just have an 'update'

The moral of the story, The media lies.

15. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    I try not to pay attention to the news, it worries me if I do. I like to live in my own positive world.

16. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    Gary Gygax.
    Jeff Healey
    Boyd Coddington.

All RIP within a week of each other.

17. I dont have a TV in my bedroom, and when the one in the living room is on it is on Scifi or discovery channel (or a movie/game system lol). I read the paper to get my news. No "horror stories of the day" kind of stuff going on. I hate TV and news shows.

The world isnt as bad as it's made out to be. Yes there are horrible things going on. But there are also so many people doing good. The media just likes to show the bad stuff more, because it attracts viewers and pays the bills, etc.

18. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

The video is fake, as mentioned. When the dog is thrown, its legs are still crunched as it's flipping through the air, and the volume of its yelps remain relatively consistent throughout the video.

19. You have to remind yourself that the news media exists for one reason only: to make money. It's sad but true.

20. there was this story on the front page of yahoo a couple days back of how this woman saw a flyer in the school she worked in. it was asking for a kidney for this young girl who had failing kidneys.. the woman called em up and with no questions willingly gave up one of hers...

wont hear about that on the 6 o clock news tonight though..

and once... sometimes twice a year i will donate blood....because somebody might need it...