1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I can't talk myself into another bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nostatic, May 11, 2011.

1. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Maybe it is being tired of churn, maybe I have figured out what I want/my basses to do and sound/feel like, maybe I have finally accepted that it's the "software" not the "hardware" (thanks, BNC ;)). Or all of the above. I had convinced myself that I needed (wanted) a 24-fret 4-string for more chording and solo stuff. The problem (?!?) is that I am incredibly comfortable with the new AmDlxP, AmStdP, and my MB-2 and Deep5.

Anywho, went to the local GC to check out a few candidates. Didn't dig them, in part because I really - *really* like the 1-5/8" nut width and neck feel on the Fenders and the Rob Allen. So 1.5" just wasn't right for me. I tried a number of instruments and none of them spoke to me at all.

Could it be I've actually found a set of keepers, and can just save some money now (to pay for the Skjold 5-strings on order :p)? Could it be that my 21-fret AmDlxP will cover everything I need in a fretted 4? Could it be that my sciatica will let up so I can walk upright at my weekend gigs?

feh, probably not :D But I'll take the temporary contentment and just keep practicing and playing for the time being...

2. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    That's a good thing. I think I've come to the same conclusion after getting, ironically, a twenty-four fret four string!

3. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    I'm going in the opposite direction. I played the same bass for 6 years and never touched a single thing on it, apart from changing the strings once or twice. Now I'm going hog wild, trying out different models and getting strange cravings for octave course basses.

It's definitely a great feeling to have your "steady" and just enjoy it though. I'll get back there again, eventually. Maybe.

4. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    Sounds like you've just realized that you're happy with what you have, and that the bass itself, is probably one of the smaller parts of the whole equation. :)

Bravo.

:)

5. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Wait, you got things well covered until you find that next bass. Keep looking, you'll find it...

6. Haha, sounds like you've got it down. Like you said, even it's temporary, why not enjoy what you have? I, myself, am realizing that I really only need 2 really good basses and I've got one down :)

7. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Well, it doesn't keep me from looking :eek:, but I realized today (or re-realized) that I am thrilled with most of my basses and they are perfect for what I'm doing at the moment. The Rob Allens have been in the house long enough to be past the honeymoon phase and they just kill. The PJ is the newest and still has that "new bass smell" but I just can't find a complaint with it after multiple gigs and many many hours of shedding. I look forward to picking them up as often as I can. Nice place to be in, but a big part of it as said above is the mental state of the nut behind the wheel as opposed to the bass itself.

8. Very cool, nice place to be. I'm almost at the same place. I'm actually shopping for fewer things than I'm selling, thinning the herd.

9. Gomeztool

Gomeztool Banned

Dec 10, 2010
    Cali
    It's a phase. One day someone will make a bass you really "must have" and the cycle starts over.