I can't think of a clever subject...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TheFrizzleFry, Jul 10, 2001.

1. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    Alright, this is more of a general knowlege thing than anything. This is going to sound like I'm drunk because I can't think of how I want to word this... Alright, Primus, The Brown Album. Everything has a unique sound (kinda crappy but unique) how do you get sounds like that out of your bass. People say Mess with your EQ and Tones and stuff.. no dice, is it stuff they do in the studio or what? Also, is their an effect to get that sweet punchy slap tone? (Ex. Higher Ground, RHCP)
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

3. APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

As Bruce succintly implied, Claypool has all sorts of sonic toys and options in the studio. Anything is possible in a pro studio.

Even live, Claypool has an arsenal of effects. His stomp boxes and boards form a "U" in front of him. Add his signature techniques and his custom Carl Thompson for the other sonic ingredients.

Sweet punchy slap tone? A Stingray or a Modulus Flea bass would be ideal. Try dropping the mids out of your EQ, dialing up the bass and treble controls, allow for a lot of compression, and use bright strings like DR Hi Beams. Your technique and your bass will have the most effect, though.
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    What everybody else said.

You might want to check out a good rackmount compressor. Does the job for me.
  6. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    Yeah I kinda figured all that stuff was studio, but in videoplasty when he plays stuff like Kalamazoo he's got that sound, he's probably got a bitchin' setup though. I think I discovered my problem, my amp kinda sucks. And lets not forget that the strings on my bass (for all I know) could be as old as I am! These things are old. I love the spots where you can see the fret marks on the strings. I figure new strings and fiddling around with my EQ outta do the trick. I wrote this message when I was really tired/dumb. I really think they are questions I could have answered myself if I was in the right state of mind. I'm suprised I didn't throw in "duuuhhhh" in my sentence, I remeber falling asleep at the keyboard while typing this. Oh well, wouldn't be the first time. I only get a chance on the computer at night.
  7. A big part of Claypool's tone is that he uses super-light strings for the E and D. Try a 35-55-75-95 set.