Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I can't tune the E string to E!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HostileApostle, Mar 16, 2002.

1. Yeah I know I am a newbie. Now that I finally tackled my first stringing, I still can't tune my damn E string to an E!

I have a Korg Chromatic tuner and I can't get the string to tune to an E. I don't know why. It's making me very mad too.

If I make the string too tight it snaps. Argh.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Play a flageolet at the 12th fret and tune that to E.

3. flageolet?

4. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Sorry, harmonic is another term.

Place your finger very lightly over the 12th fret, really just barely touch it.

5. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Never heard that term.
    It's either flageolet (in classical music) or (natural) harmonic AFAIK.
    Belltone sounds more like a slang term to me.

6. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    we've always called them harmonics in my orchestral classes. i like learning new terms though, but i agree that belltone is slang.

also, thanks for being a cool newbie. a lot of them come in and would be like "well i call it this so **** you"

thank you for not being stupid IMO

7. Darn. I must have just had two dead strings in a row then.

I will try the Harmonic thing though.

Thanks!

8. Sweet I got it to work.

Thanks a lot guys.

9. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    anything for a newbie that isnt an ass

10. nivagues

nivagues

Jan 18, 2002
    Hostile Apostle,

Some time ago I had a similar problem. If you have active electronics in your Bass, try replacing the battery.

Cheers.

11. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Hostile Apostle...

the funny thing is, i am calling you a newbie, but you are 2 years older than me!! :eek:

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Flageolet ... bitchen.

13. by any chance do u know how to use harmonics? it is when you dont fret you 7th fret on your a string and it makes a chime noise, and the then you do the same to the e string just on the 12th fret. Than you will hear your e-string make a frequent Vibration. Move the tuning gear around until the Vibration stops and it syncronises with the a string. Keep doing it repeatively until you get it in tune

14. holy ****, i just realized someone already posted it. sorry. But if u find mine to have easier instructions than JMX's its alright. Which ever you find easier do so

15. asoggydoggy

asoggydoggy

Mar 16, 2002
    Nebraska
    This isn't meant to be sarcastic, I did it myself...are you 100% certain it is an E string, and not a B string? B strins are hard to tune to E. Or try unwinding the string, and slowly coil it.

16. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Just to ask the question others might have missed, since you say are new bass...

Are you sure you are tuning to the right octave? A chromatic tuner will work for both the "right" note, which is low E one octave (12 semitones) below the guitarist's low E, or for the guitarist's low E. If you are tuning to the guitar note, which is too high in pitch, you will snap the string every time, but the tuner will not tell you you were doing anything wrong!

To clarify, the bass open E string is one octave below the guitar open E string; the bass 12th fret harmonic on the bass is the same note as the guitar's open E string!

17. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Word,,,,,,word......

18. Isn't that also a name for a tin whistle? Not bitchen, obviously...