I cant understand bass players that only want to use a DI live

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Green Lantern, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Green Lantern

Green Lantern

Nov 3, 2011
    PA
    1. The character of my bass amp is just as important as the sound of my guitar amp.
    2. The full sound of my bass amp behinds me inspires me to play better. No in ear will give you the big full sound of your cabinet behind you.
    3. You can dial your sound more from an amp than a DI.
    4. You get the feeling of the crowd and room where you hear everything. Just give me a monitor in front of me.

I get it, you don't want too much volume on stage which makes things more difficult for the sound people, but really.......a DI for live?

Stingray5, jdb72, Leiria and 5 others like this.
  2. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    Depends on the DI. A good one through a good monitor mix can be stellar. I tend to gig with an amp, but my PA sound still comes from my REDDI. The times I've left my rig at home and just had the DI through the monitors have been anything but disappointing.

3. Green Lantern

Green Lantern

Nov 3, 2011
    PA
    Hey quickervicar, I am 45 min north of Lancaster off 422.

hear what your saying but man the amp and speakers of an amp are not the same as a monitor. The speaker design and cabinet are not the same and they just don't sound the same. I am sure a DI can sound good, but it can't sound the same as my Aguilar cab behind me. The tone from the speaker is what I just love.

4. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    I understand what you're saying and that was my feeling before the REDDI. However, a good DI will give you a rock solid sound that you can trust. On so many rock gigs I never knew if the sound coming through the PA was anywhere near what was coming through my increasingly-complex back line. Just remember that there are some truly great direct boxes available today that can inspire a player as much as an amp does.

Thisguy, ajwolfcale and TMARK like this.
  5. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    I cant understand bass players that want to haul more gear than they have to.

I totally get the "feeling the sound" arguement, but for me the benefits of my di/iem rig outweigh the detractions. My tone still rocks (as told by others and our hired sound techs) and the iems let me hear EVERYONE better.

I still love my amp and when i cant trust the PA support i bring it. And use it... not often though.

6. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    As long as I am physically capable of hauling my Tube head and Cabs, I will be doing so. I don't think there's a right or wrong way but I sure prefer having my Rig behind me.

7. I can't understand musicians who are chained to their gear to get their sound.

Not sarcasm or a joke. I use my amplifier to make my sound louder, not to make my sound. I use EQ to adjust for the room, and the rare FX pedal for what it does, but I don't like my amps/cabs to color my sound.

SwitchGear, Mike A, bassomane and 9 others like this.
  8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

A good % of us musicians don't have the type of PA (stage monitor) support that will make you leave your amp at home. I can count exactly 1 gig where the monitor setup gave a great stage wash including bass. I actually turned my amp down to a minimum that day. And I've been playing since the mid 70's. In any case, my rig is small and lightweight and I'm usually setup in 5-10 minutes tops. I can always turn down if I encounter a great stage monitor wash.

9. domonic

domonic

Aug 22, 2014
    Cab coloration is in the bag w/ torpedo cab ..... I do always have a small combo along if I'm needing a little bit of monitoring volume or just feel like it!

P.S. it is a world of individuals.... more than one way to skin something that needs skinning ! ( especially varmints !)

Thisguy likes this.
  10. Green Lantern

Green Lantern

Nov 3, 2011
    PA
    My amp and cab is part of my sound. The sound out of a montior on stage or in ears will not give you the sound from your amp-cab. I don't want to argue the point, everyone had their personal preference. I am also a guitar player and I have yet to find a guitarist who prefers a pedal board I to the PA over a real amp. I feel the same way about my bass gear.

I sold my Mesa Boogie 400 plus and four 10 cab due to the heavy weight along time ago. These class D amps are a breeze to carry and my lighter cabinet I happily bring to a gig. But hey if you enjoy just using a DI live, using what you like is all that matters

Stingray5 and The Regulator like this.
  11. If "using what you like is all that matters" what was the point of this?

12. Green Lantern

Green Lantern

Nov 3, 2011
    PA
    Just discussing some pros over DI's, that's all. That is what the forums are for.

13. The Regulator

The Regulator

Aug 10, 2005
    If I had my way, in order of preference

Miked cab & DI from head (this is how they did it at CBGB, damn I miss that place)
    Miked cab
    DI from head
    DI from SansAmp pedal

14. Clearwave

Clearwave

Sep 29, 2011
    The Future
    I like my amp.

I also like showing up to a gig and playing thru whatever amp is there.

I've never done it before, but I think I could do a gig that was DI only. As long as I could hear myself.

quickervicar likes this.
  15. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I've done some fly dates where somebody forgot to read the rider and played through just a DI, with a good soundman it's no big deal and you just get on with the gig.

16. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Or have you ever thought. What's the point of taking toilet paper when camping, when there are ready supplies of leaves to wipe with.
    Or have you any other analogies that cover less is affirmatively less.:)X

17. Bassnomer

Bassnomer Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Lakewood, CA
    Yes, a DI for live. Some prefer it - you obviously do not. Thread solved :cool:

organworthyplayer337 and TMARK like this.
  18. lfmn16

lfmn16

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    None :D

I would never not use an amp but there is no mystery about why others go ampless.

N0sferatu likes this.
  19. gelinas666

gelinas666 Guest

Sep 8, 2009
    I have two Radial DI's. One Active,one passive..Depending on the board I have to send to.. Better sound and signal than my Amps can give to the front of house. Still prefer a rig on stage for a fuller deeper tone though. Usually have an option to mic my cab too.. The Sound man's happy and I get a great FOH sound .. My Stage sound is still great with both ...

Grumry and brocco like this.
  20. Charlzm

Charlzm Guest

Mar 25, 2011
    I've hauled enough amps around to know that if I can get the same sound I want from a pedal/DI/amp sim/etc... AND the gig is appropriate for it, I'll go DI every time. My tone comes from my hands, my bass and my effects pedals, mainly.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021