1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

i can't wait...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pcake, Aug 6, 2018.

1. pcake

pcake

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i ordered a bass yesterday that i had never heard of two weeks ago, but i'm pretty darn excited!

its full name is the Ibanez Limited Edition 30th Anniversary SR30TH4 Electric Bass Guitar, and i noticed it hanging on the wall at guitar center while i was there to try another bass. it kept catching my eye with its quirky three holes and really nice figured mahogany with a brown burst over it.

and turns out it had the pickups and bridge from the SR500 - i used to own one and really liked it, but it was too heavy for my shoulders. the SR30TH4 is the lightest 34" scale bass i've ever tried or even heard of (the one at GC was significantly lighter than the mikros they had, so noticeably lighter than 6 pounds) no doubt due to its chambered body.

i've always liked the SR necks, i had a blast playing it using one of my couch guitar straps. i played it and played it through several amps, tweaking the settings - there's a lot on this bass to work with.

i'm quite excited, and can't wait for it to arrive on friday :)

2. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Right on

Spidey2112 likes this.
  3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    When I bought basses every week like I had money (I didn't) I very often paid overnight shipping to alleviate my impatience. Good for you for being patient. Friday's a long way away.

4. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Neat

pcake likes this.
  5. Looks nice! Interested in how it sounds with the chambered body.

pcake likes this.
  6. pcake

pcake

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    it's made it from tampa to houston, still scheduled to arrive friday - and you can bet i'll be home on friday :)

when not dialed it well, it was just a little muddy, but after spending time tweaking the settings, i found some very nice tones, a little sustainier than the SR500 and maybe a hint richer, but with less bass and adjusting the highs and mids, it was nice and woody.

7. badRocks

badRocks

Jun 11, 2018
    Longs, SC
    I played one of these over the weekend. I was amazed how light this bass was. It feels like it's made of cardboard. It sounds awesome and felt great to play. Officially added to my Xmas wish list. Congrats! You'll love it

8. pcake

pcake

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    it's the lightness that sold me. a 34" scale bass at under 6 pounds is exactly what the doctor ordered - in my case, literally :D

what did you think of the tone and controls?

you'll have to be lucky to get one by them - they made only a limited amount of the anniversary models. a rep on a NAMM video said 50 premiums and 150 standards (mine is a standard), although who knows if that's the amount they really made. hopefully by the holidays you can find one that just happened to sit around or a used one in pristine condition.

9. badRocks

badRocks

Jun 11, 2018
    Longs, SC
    Guess I better have Mama put it on layaway for me now eh? I only played it for a short time but I didn't find anything I disliked about it.

pcake likes this.
  10. pcake

pcake

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    that's what i would do, but then i got about a quarter of my basses and guitars on layaway. it took me seven months to pay it off when i got my ric :D

why not revisit it and see if you still like it. i liked it much better at my second visit after i got a better idea of how the various knobs worked together to change the tone. but for me, the weight tops anything else - i mean, wow!

Spidey2112 and badRocks like this.
  11. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    Sweet bass! Im a big fan of couch straps.

pcake likes this.
  12. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Blast you Pcake! You bad influence!
    You just made me buy an Ibanez SR30TH4N-P body-only from Ebay! I hate when TB gives me GAS!

Deal of course is that I already Own a Carvin AC50 semi-hollow body bass at a mere 6 # 7 oz) which I love almost everything about (as you've discovered with this one).
    HOWEVER, the one thing I wish it had was a magnetic pickup to mix in. The Piezo is great but sometimes you really want a more standard kind of tone out of it.
    I've considered adding a magnetic pickup (I have a copy of a TB thread of adding a mag pickup in the sound hole). But thanks to your GAS-inducing post Now, I've decided to go the reverse way and get this Ibanez body off EBAY and put it together but add a Piezo bridge to the usual mag-pickup arrangement.

So Now you got me waiting for my SR30TH4N-P (body).

Thanks a lot! :(

pcake likes this.
  13. pcake

pcake

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    so is the plan to buy a soundgear neck to go with the body?

sorry to have inspired you :(

this ibanez is lighter and sounds cleaner and woodier than your carvin, which is - unless i'm misremembering - an all laminate acoustic body. i used to hang out at carvin hollywood when those hollow basses came out and played them a lot. they were okay, but the ibanez has more tonal options and - to me, so this is only an opinion - sounds better.

bassbenj likes this.
  14. pcake

pcake

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
  15. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    No Carvin is not laminate at all. it's a hollowed out mahogany body with Spruce top like a guitar. And yes the problem is the limited tonal options that I attributed to no magnetic pickup option. Which is the point of the whole new body thing.

Haven't quite dealt with the neck thing yet. I've got some G&L necks that I might adapt as I like that profile. Or I was thinking maybe a Mighty Mite or Warmouth replacement neck, Or maybe scan EBAY for a soundgear neck (I like those too). Time will tell.

I played the Carvin for several years for Blues and loved the light weight, the woody tone, the lack of ABG feedback and general vibe of the semi-hollow body!

Still you are going to have a totally cool NBD!

16. pcake

pcake

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    isn't that bass part of the old carvin cobalt series made in korea?

i love the ibanez soundgear necks. have you played one? if you can find one - maybe one from a broken bass? - might it drop in?

17. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Don't think so. I ordered mine to specifications new right from Carvin Factory. $$$!

Yes, love Soundgear necks. I currently own an GSR 206 and an SR 506. Although my current "main axe" is three G&L L2500s, I am intending to look into a conversion of the semi-hollow body to 5 string. I figure it should not take much routing to the neck pocket and since I want to change the bridge anyway to some piezo model, the switch should not be that big a deal. Now you have me thinking maybe grab the neck off my GSR 206 and go for a 6 string version. That would be rare! But as I said, lots of parts appear on EBAY with regularity so it's hard to plan in advance what would be best.

pcake likes this.
  18. I hope this is the answer to the problems you have had.
    It sure sounds light and comfy.

pcake likes this.
  19. pcake

pcake

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    thank you :)

20. pcake

pcake

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    it's in coachella... why can't they just bring it today?