1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I can't win...used bass issues

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fretlesswonder, Feb 26, 2008.

1. fretlesswonder

fretlesswonder Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2006
    New Jersey
    I bought a used Tony Franklin fretless...well, after asking the seller, is the board clean, then being told it was, I bought it. Well, I get the bass and the board has wear from roundwound use. So I'm bummed, otherwise it is mint. Is there anyway to clean up the board? There are some deep marks, I thought I'd ask the board. If not I'll deal, but there are 2 spots that are just bad. Thanks for letting me vent.

2. I'd say ignore them, even if you find a way to remove the marks, you'll make new ones yourself. I've never seen a fretless bass without string marks unless it was brand new.
    Metal is harder than wood and will mark it, especially with roundwounds. It doesn't change the sound at all though and it's not like strings are going to eat right through the fretboard either.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    A fingerboard planing is a failrly easy and normal job for a luthier/repairman, and I've had the price of it included in a regular setup cost in the past (ie it was cheap). Are the grooves affecting the tone/playability?

4. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    well I you asked me that question(and me being the seller) and the board isn't dirty, I would also say it's clean...

so it really depends on what AND how you asked it...

but: looks and sound are 2 different things, does the wear bother you? (and not just looks, play sound wise)

options: get the board sanded if you really want and like the bass(perhaps, ask the seller to pay some of it) or if you can return it, return it...

5. artfahie

artfahie Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bar Mills, Maine
    That's an ebony board... who sold you the thing... "The Incredible Hulk"?. I've got the same bass and have had no issues with the roundwounds. Maybe a little clean-up will help remove scuff marks... but the other stuff?... isn't a "relic" worth more than a new guitar these days ? Great bass... sorry about the visual issues... I actually played mine before leaving for work this morning... I luvs it !

6. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    If it's only visual, don't sweat it. A bass is goning to wear.

7. I would'nt worry about it...It will take a long time to do any real damage to the board..I played a fretless Fender Jazz Special(rosewood board) hard for 10+ years(with rounds) before I needed to do something. The TF has a ebony board right? if so it's a very hard wood and should last a very long time. Play it and enjoy...

8. fretlesswonder

fretlesswonder Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2006
    New Jersey
    Thanks everyone, makes me feel better...I love the bass, tone is great...Tony made a great bass. I love the fretted version too, but that will have to wait for a long time.