Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I caught a 'FISH this weekend...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Slater, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  2. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Nice score, Slater. That Rumblefish looks awesome. Very underrated bass.

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    lucky you!

here where i live no 'fish! and no way of trying one....

:(

4. I have a Rumblefish (not XL), and I love it! Congrats! Post a review when you get it!:)

5. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    score! i have 2 'fish and love them--post your thoughts after you let that baby sing n' ring!

6. Congratulations on the bass Slater.

7. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    After I've been searching for an XL for some time, I finally snag one on eBay, and NOW, There are two "Cosmetic Seconds" for sale on Reverend's site :oops: .

http://www.reverenddirect.com/reverend/instock_specials.html

Actually, I'm happier with the one I purchased on eBay (even though I don't have it yet. Scheduled delivery from Brown is Oct. 6). It has Hipshot Ultralight tuners and the cool looking hard case :cool: .

If there's anyone like me, that was/is looking for an XL 4-string, check out the link above.

I'll review my XL shortly after 10/06...

8. Congrats, man! And welcome to the club. You will be very happy.

9. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I received my 'Fish today, and I've been able to spend some time with it. Here's a little review for those that are interested (If you've read other Reverend bass reviews, this one is going to fall right in line with those):

[​IMG]

First, this used bass is super clean. I've seen "new" basses (*cough* guitar center *cough*) that weren't as nice.

The construction is solid and nice!

The playability is very good, as expected. (I live in Michigan where Reverends are made, so I've been able to put my hands on a few). The neck, with the rolled edges and "broken-in" feel is great! Also, the bass arrived set-up very close to the way I like it.

One little "niggle": The open A-string (which has no string tree) has a slight buzz at the nut. If I apply the slightest bit of pressure on the string beyond the nut, the buzzing stops. However, the A-string is not wound all the way to the bottom of the tuning post. I believe this problem will be remedied when I install new strings.

Now for the sound: This bass sounds HUGE! with a lot of low-end. As other Reverend reviewers have stated, it sounds a lot like a P-Bass for a bass with two Jazz pickups. Also, this bass is loud! (I may lower the pickups).

I believe the bass still has the factory SIT strings on it, which I don't really care for. If anyone has any string recommendations, please post them here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=101978

The next test for this bass will be this weekend on a gig. I'm pretty sure it's going to do well.

Right now I'm very happy with this bass!

Thanks for reading...

10. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Looks really good, thanks for sharing the review with us. :cool:

11. sgraham

sgraham

Aug 30, 2000
    Tyler, TX
    Thanks for the review, Slater!

I've been eyeing the "cosmetic second" Fish XL
    on their website. I've never had my hands on
    an XL (although I have played the Houser), so
    I have a playability question: Is it comfortable
    to anchor your thumb on the pickup when playing
    fingerstyle, or does the angled pickup throw
    you off in any way? I usually anchor my thumb
    on the front p/u on a Jazz, sometimes the rear
    p/u.

Thanks for the info!
    SG

12. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Nice review--what are your thoughts on the pick-up switch? my 4 string fish is the old variety--vol/vol/tone; my 5 has the switch--i mostly use the "hunbucking" setting. TI Jazz Flats are great on these basses. my 5 has d'addario chrome flats. the stock SIT's are ok, bur squeak alot.

I find the neck size, shape and finish about the best i've played w/ small hands

i have no trouble thumb-resting on the p/ups

13. I love my XL. I'm addicted to the "series" setting...the big, fat sound. I used GHS Brite Flats and they sounded good but now I have Fender flats and they sound GREAT.

14. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    sgraham - I play with a "floating thumb" style, so I'm not the person to ask about using the pups for a thumbrest.

watspan - I'm really liking the parallel setting the most right now. Probably because I like Jazz Basses with both pickups wide open. The solo neck position is too noisy for me. The series position sounds good, but can be a little boomy.

All of these observations were made at my home through my practice amp. I'll be gigging with this bass this Friday & Saturday. Then, I'll find out what it can really do...

15. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Well, after one night of gigging, the 'Fish is going to be my #1 gigging bass. The tone is killer, and it's sooo light.

Also, I lowered both pickups about 1/8 of an inch, and that really cleared things up. Now the bass has much more definition, but it's still loud and punchy.

I'm still favoring "parallel" mode tone-wise, but when the guitar players start to let their volume creep up, I switch to "series" and give everyone a "blast-o-bass" :D !

Reverend has a huge new fan!

16. sgraham

sgraham

Aug 30, 2000
    Tyler, TX
    That's exactly what I do with my Roscoe Beck 5!:cool: