1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I caved and finally bought a Fender P-bass (MIM content ahead)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brenner182, Apr 2, 2013.

1. brenner182

brenner182

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    Yes sir i did. I had a post up a couple days ago about one i found at guitar center for 350 but they wanted to give me next to nothing for my trade in (which i have for sale btw. Click on the link in my footer)

So browsing craigslist this morning, I see a fender pbass for sale- 225 So i text the guy and offer him 175. I says 185 and within half an hours i was on my way home with my new toy.

Best part is exactly the same as the one in GC. Black on black, Rosewood Fretboard and has a SPB-3 installed. And he even gave me the stock pup as well.

It sounds killer through my 2x12(which is for sale hint hint). Intonation is Dead on, just needs the action adjusted. Has a chip out of the bottom and some buckle rash and i can deff tell he played with a pick, But hell. It was only 185 bucks.

So plans are to swap some stuff:
    Needs Gold strap locks
    Gold Knobs
    Either bridge cover or new gold bridge

And im considering putting a set of flats on it. Because that just seems like the thing to do around here. :hyper:

Attached Files:

2. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    I'm not a F guy or a P guy, but $185 seems like a hell of a deal. Congrats!

3. You should be arrested for STEALING that bass! :) Congrats on a great bass and a great deal.

4. Well, there you go. Another joins The Brotherhood. :bassist: EDIT: dig the bass face.

5. Nice deal and nice bass too.

I've got a MIM P that I love playing it. I had never been a P fan until recently and am glad I finally did after 30+ years....

6. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    It's also gonna need some gold tuning machines, too, if you goldout all the other hardware. And don't forget the pickguard screws. If I were going gold on black, I'd put black tapeounds on.

7. good score, not digging the "gold" plan though especially on a black bass ;)

8. Scott Sauna

Scott Sauna

Oct 12, 2012
    Oregon
    Very nice! Love the black on black!

9. brenner182

brenner182

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    Thanks for the compliments guys! I checked out a set of tapewounds on youtube and was not digging it. Anybody got a link of a good example?

10. brenner182

brenner182

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    And who could say no to someting this good looking???

post-10892-1276356628.

11. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I thought LaBella black tape-wound flats were too nasal sounding on my single-coil '51 RI. They might sound OK with the split-coil, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Cool score, by the way.

12. slobake

slobake resident ... something

Good score. I had GHS flats on my Precision and switched to D'Adario half rounds. I like the way those sound better.

13. brenner182

brenner182

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    I'm still on the wall though. Cant decide what to restring with for fear of the TB gods frowning upon me

14. toddoutloud

toddoutloud

Jul 19, 2010
    Florida
    Try a few different sets of strings and make your own comparisons. Make sure you don't clip the wrapped ends so you can restring with them again to suit your preference. I keep a few sets of "lightly-used" strings handy for my P and J basses and change them out to get particular sounds for certain jobs.

15. Awesome score! I didn't like the gold hardware idea until I saw the other pic. Looks sweet. I just picked up this MIM in a trade for a Squier Tele, I think I made out also!!;)
    It's a mid-nineties that's almost mint save a ding in the lower bout side.
    Fender-GK1.

16. props on the bass face

17. brenner182

brenner182

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    Thats my normal face:bag:

18. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods!

Nice one!

19. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Obviously born to be a bass player. ;)

Very nice score on the bass. +1 to the black and gold--looks great.

20. brenner182

brenner182

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    It's either that or a complete blackout. I'm still on the wall about it.