Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I changed my strings and now I have some buzzing...?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Sigma B, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Sigma B

Sigma B

Mar 31, 2004
    Hi everyone,

I have a 5 string peavey cirrus (tigereye) and just recently changed the strings on my bass. I put another set of peavey cirrus roundwound strings on there and now notice that I now have buzzing in the Low B, E, and A, strings occasionally. When I fret the strings harder it seems to go away, but i have not had to do this before, so it just makes me wonder - why now? Should I raise the saddles for each string slightly or is there something else I should consider?

BTW - Wonderful Site. I'm so glad I found it!

Sigma

2. Are the new strings a different gauge than you previously had on the bass? If so, you will probably have to do a slight truss rod adjustment to correct the buzzing...

3. Sigma B

Sigma B

Mar 31, 2004
    they are the same gauge. it just seems odd. I'm not going to touch my the truss rod. I'd much rather let someone else that knows what they're doing do that. I just find it odd that it's doing that. I bought the bass used. So far i've been more than pleased, just now this has happened - so I don't know.

4. How much time has passed since you've changed the strings? Sometimes even replacing the strings with the same brand and gauge can have this effect, especially if you had a really low action with the last set. New strings can have a different overall tension than old strings.
    Are you checking to keep them up to tune? Even the slightest downtune can cause this problem, and new strings stretch alot while they're breaking in.

Before, how was the neck action? Was it good all the way down the neck, or did the action go to crap as you played up to the higher frets?
    If you liked the way it was, I would suggest raising the string saddles slightly to correct the buzz and see how that feels. Keep track of how high you raise the strings so that you can return it to the previous setting if things don't work out.

Adjusting the truss is just something you'll have to do (or pay someone to do) sometimes. It's not complicated, but if you feel uncomfortable, you should find a pro to do it for you. Just make sure you're paying a pro, ok? I've paid music store techs good money to do some really crappy setups in the past..

Good luck..

Mag...

5. Sigma B

Sigma B

Mar 31, 2004
    after further investigation the buzzing is comming from string that's plucked above the fretted note?!?! If I play the 5th or 6th fret on the low b it will buzz pretty nasty.

The strings were changed about a month - month and a half ago. I haven't had much time to play recently though. I've been keeping the strings in tune. The action is very low, although i didn't have a problem before. The strings I had on before this set were well played, and when I installed this new set I could deffinitely tell a difference in brightness and overall impact.

I hope that helps.

Thanks

6. The action refers to the height of the strings, or how far away they are from the fretboard. Lower action is usually easier to play, however, a lighter touch is required to prevent the strings from rattling. The string height can be adjusted by raising or lowering the bridge saddles. This can usually be done with an allen wrench key of the correct size. Be sure to use the correct size, to prevent stripping the screw. The neck relief can also have an effect on the action. Relief is the curvature in the neck, and is discussed below.

Neck relief refers to the bow of the neck. Fretted basses generally need a small amount of relief in order to play properly. This means that the neck will bow away from the strings, as opposed to bowing towards them. The latter, also known as a "backbow" is not desirable as this would cause the neck to have a hump in the fretboard, which would cause buzzing at certain frets. To adjust the relief, the truss rod must be rotated in a certain direction. The truss rod is a metal rod that is inside the neck underneath the fretboard. Please note that truss rod adjustments are a tricky business, and there is the potential to seriously damage a good bass. However, with caution, the adjustments can be made at home. If you are unsure of your abilities, do not hesitate to take your bass to a repairman, who can probably show you the correct way to perform the task. This disclaimer aside, you will need to obtain the proper sized allen wrench for your truss rod. (The incorrect size can strip the truss rod.) The truss rod can be accessed at either the peghead or at the neck joint. To lower the neck relief, turn the truss rod clockwise. To raise the relief, turn the truss rod counter-clockwise. It is important not to turn the truss rod too much in any direction. Never turn it more than a quarter turn at a time, and always give the neck time to adjust itself to the change. A little goes a long way in truss rod adjustments.

[​IMG]
    Treena

7. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

Great post, Treena. You have a very good way with words.

I get frustrated at times because I can't put into words things that are so clear to me.

Harrell S.

8. Sigma B

Sigma B

Mar 31, 2004
    okay....

my low b buzzes above the fretted note since the string change. What would cause that?

and my E, and E strings buzz bellow the fretted note (which would probably just need a slight saddle adjustment). It's also possible that i'm playing too hard?

But, what would cause the Low B to buzz above the fretted possition (usually when fretted from 4th to 7th or so).

I truly appreciate all of your help.

9. Sigma B

Sigma B

Mar 31, 2004
    Anyone have any ideas on who I could take my axe to in the Lexington, KY area if it needs some TLC...

Also - why would my string be buzzing above the fretted note?

10. Sigma B

Sigma B

Mar 31, 2004
    anyone got a cure?

11. Hey-

Sorry about coming to the party sooo late... but I may have an answer for ya.

I had the same problem after putting a new set on my Hamer(albeit a lighter guage). Buzzed like crazy above the fretted note. AAARRRGHHH!

What I did to fix it was press down on the string as hard as I could just above and just below the nut. You'll probably have to retune your bass. My guess is(on my bass anyways) the strings weren't seated properly in the nut.

Can't say for sure this will fix your problem but hope it helps.

Bob

drdog likes this.