1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I cheer for this underdog: 2005 Ashdown MAG 300 H + 115 Deep

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GlennRH, May 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. When I ordered this two-part rig, I wanted the made-in-England GP7SM Trace-Elliot tone from an intuitive head separate from a big, full-breathing 1x15" cabinet. Got 'em. Twelve years later, I continue to believe that I chose well.

I viewed the subharmonics knob as a welcome upgrade from the great-sounding Trace I'd played through before; also suitable compensation for the furry carpet covering both head and cabinet. Still view it that way - the subharmonics and the carpet.

First rehearsal, the drummer asked, "You got subharmonics on that thing?"

My reply: Yeah. How's it sound where you sit?

Drummer: "I like it. Too bad we've already played so many stages without it."

I don't like the crackle when I pan the output pot. (Really: It crackles a bit.)

I like that issues never arise with the input gain, as I play a G&L bass with a hot MFD pickup, and sometimes I thump pretty hard with my plucking fingers.

Years passed before it ever occurred to me that Ashdown is an underdog brand. Whateva.

My Ashdown rig sounds great. I find the head totally intuitive to use. Whenever I contemplate plugging in a second cabinet, I hope that it sounds as close as possible to my MAG 115 Deep.
    AshdownFrontR.JPG

MrLenny1 likes this.
  2. I’m glad you have found an amp that you are still liking a dozen years later. It would be sad if you still had it and you hated it. :D

GlennRH likes this.
  3. Yeah. I'd wish the same for anybody - happy with your gear for over a decade. Underdog gear, too, in my case.

I'd never buy any gear covered in the black fur again ....except if I could get me hands on a second MAG 115 Deep cabinet. That model disappeared from the Ashdowm catalogue years ago. Alas.

When I do plug in a second cabinet, the best they ever do is equal the Ashdown cab.

More often, I run a cable from the Ashdown head's DI to the board to let the house PA carry the bass. That's usually better than 2 cabs on the stage anyway.