1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I Come From The Darkness...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Poop-Loops, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    You may or may not know that western Washington saw one of the worst recorded storms ever (for the state) Thursday night. Winds up to I think like 50mph or some thing and gusts over 60mph. Not so bad for some of you, I know, but like I said, this is western Washington. We're used to God liking us and not crapping all over our lives.

So yeah, Thursday night, BAM no power. For over a million people in the area. I still went to school on Friday (long story short, worst day of my life, oddly enough not due to power outage), since the more densly populated areas were served with power first I assume, and a place like Seattle doesn't have many trees to fall on the power lines, either. But yeah, entire trees down on roads, it's insane. I've never seen anything like this in my life. Intersections without power and no cops to even regulate them. Where are they? Patrolling Best Buy. Ok, the really big intersections get cops, the rest really don't.

It's estimated that 100% of the people won't get their power back until maybe 6 more days. I'm lucky enough that I live in a somewhat bigger town, so they got to us first I guess. Just got it back a few hours ago. We spent last night and today at a friend of the family's house, since they have a fireplace. Our house was ****ing COLD. We've been heating for over 2 hours and it's still only 54F. We were lucky that we did know someone with a fire place. Most people probably don't have one. There's still an estimated 500,000 people without power. They brought in workers from other states to help out. It's really insane.

It's funny, I couldn't sleep during the storm, and I saw this prolonged flash of light through my blinds. I thought "HOLY CRAP!" but it turned out to just be a car driving by.

So if any TBers from Washington haven't posted lately, there's a good chance they are still without power. Technicians (or whatever you call them) have been working round the clock, though to get power back up. It's not like after a blizzard where it's still a pain to get something fixed because the conditions are still bad. Apart from the coldness, it's really calm now. So I think the 6 days is an overestimate.

2. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    Glad that you made it back relatively unscathed.

3. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Yeah. Some people actually died because trees fell on them and even more died due to carbon monoxide poisoning. Like, they left their generator in their garage and the CO got into the house, or they used cookers for camping indoors or too many candles, etc. Pretty bad.

But I'm still surprised at how little chaos there is on the streets. Everybody is just being cautious and going slow. I haven't heard of any looting or anything. It just lets the road crews do their job easier. They need all the help they can get. :meh:

4. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Hey Poop, glad you're ok. We only hear about the 3 mountain climbers that are lost on the news.

5. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Yeah, I know. I was listening to the radio and was like "ok... there are 3 lost climbers in the mountains who went there by choice. Over 500,000 people still don't have power and 1) food is going bad, 2) cold enough to die, 3) there's a better chance of fixing our power than finding those guys"

Sorry it's so selfish, but they are using a LOT of man power for those 3 guys. Three guys who they think are surviving anyway.

6. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    My drummer and singer's (married couple) son lives in WA and says it is horrible. 3 mobile homes in his park have been completely crushed by falling trees, no power but he still has to go into work at his store and make sales with no power (pen and paper I guess). He says driving is terrifying right now because of the road conditions, trees in the road, debris, etc. What's worst for him is that he's from California and has never seen storms like that.

Poop, find a warm house and stay inside man, us California boys can't fathom that kind of wrath from ole Momma Nature. Glad you came out OK.

7. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    Yeah, down here in Los Angeles, it's mild. The days have been cool to cold, but no high winds and not much rain. Seens like where I live is the perfect place for moderate weather.

Are you a Washington native Poops, or there for school?
    Was this storm unseasonable? I get that it was the worst recorded, but is it storm season?

8. Yeah I'm glad you're alright Poops...I only heard about the storms when I looked into why I couldn't connect to the Valve servers to play CounterStrike source online and the repors there mentioned bad storms, so I jumped on CNN and read up on it. :oops:

9. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I've lived here for a total of 7 years and I don't remember stuff being this bad.

We still have a "storm season", but it's usually mild. The power might go out for a few hours, but that's it. But this time, I mean, entire trees are being broken. The big kind, not the twiggy dying kind. With the friends of the family that I was staying at, a huge portion from the top of their tree fell on the ground. Must have been at least 10 feet long. Right next to their house a tree fell onto a power line.

We were actually VERY lucky because we didn't have any damage. No big branches on our yard or anything. It's really surprising, considering the damage other places have sustained.

I mean, I woke up on Friday, looked around and thought "oh, it's not that bad I guess. The power should be back soon."

I started driving to the bus/transit center and I huge branches on the road and trees that are either broken or completely fell over. I get to the main roads and ALL the stores are completely dark, intersection lights are out. That's when I realized it was worse than I thought...

Apparently in Canada the winds were up to 100mph! And they even had snow! So I guess we didn't even get the meat of the storm.

10. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    hell yes.

i fly into seattle this tuesday. :meh:

11. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    By Tuesday I think most everything should be fine. The rural areas are going to have it hardest, since they are going to be helped last. :(

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    NO WAY!!! Do you have time to meet me for coffee???

Oh yeah...we survived the storm with no damage to our home. My wife and I actually went for a walk around midnight Thursday, right in the middle of the fiercest winds. It was way cool to walk around in wind blowing soooooo hard, the rain drops felt like needles on your face. Plus, it nearly blew me over more than once. Back at home, it sounded like our house was going to blow over.

No disrespect to anyone injured, but I was hoping for a tree to land on our house. I'm going to put on a new roof this spring anyway, put in a couple more skylights, and turn our living room into a vaulted ceiling. It would have been nice to have an assist from the insurance company on some of the expense. :D

-Mike

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hey, Poop. Glad you're alright. I know how you feel. We had 2 tornadoes in two weekends last May. I was getting very nervous about all the venison in my freezer when the power went out for 36 hours after the second one. Some people had no power for 3 to 4 days though so I was lucky there.

Not looking forward to next May...seems like we always get some pretty grizzly storms every year during that time.

bc

14. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Glad your ok

My sister in law lives in woodinville and lost her roof but is ok.

I lived there for 8 years and was there in '93? for the last big one , If I remember we had no power for 3+ days and everything was a mess.

Stay safe and warm.

15. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    You guys in Puget Sound got the worst of that storm for sure! It was heading for us on the south Oregon coast but swung northward. We've already had four big blows this year which is a little over average and some rain. Rivers are up. Winds @ 50+ with gusts into the 80s are fairly common here in storms seeing as Cape Blanco the first landfall for these things. We lose power occasionally but the crews usually have it back up within the hour.

I grew up in Seattle, spending the last years in Mountlake Terrace up in Snohomish county. Terrace is always the first place to lose power and the last to get it back. Spent three days in the cold in '93.

My wife went up to Eatonville for a funeral this weekend. Called to say they had no power. Due back tonight. Saw on NWCN there is no power in the Graham/Yelm area.

16. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Yeah, we had to throw out a LOT of food. For some reason we have 3 refridgerators, 2 in the garage. The food in there stayed good since it was cold outside anyway. But most of our food is the the fridge in the house. But things like our frozen fish we were saving for Christmas Eve is out, any fish in general, and other stuff. Really sucks. :meh:

17. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    sure, dude. i'll be there for like two weeks.

18. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Heh, you should come and hang out in Oklahoma some time during storm season. That storm you had is what we refer to as an average rainy day.

19. I just got my TV/Cable modem back about 2 hours ago.
    We did not lose power though.

20. Hey Poop and MJ, good to hear you're both okay. I go to school in Maryland but I grew up on Bainbridge Island. My family has been lucky- we're among the 1/4th of the Island that has power.