Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I come seeking guidance

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by incognito89x, Dec 7, 2002.

1. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I've been selling some old equipment and such and of course saving money up from work. I'm really torn on what to do.

I've been planning on getting an Ampeg Stack. But i've been having second thoughts

Right now i've got a 100 watt Ampeg B115 combo. Works well enough. Right now i'm not in a band, and mostly just play for my own enjoyment until (and if) I find a band.

Now. I don't know whether to get the Ampeg Amps I was thinking of, or to buy a 4 string bass that I also want. I've got a 5 string, but i've felt the itch to have a 4 at my disposal as well.

Now... Would it be worthwile to put the money towards the amplifiers (Most likely an Ampeg B2R head with an Ampeg SVT410HLF cab) or will the bigger amp not change much in the tone and playbility. Should I go for the 4 string (either Corvette Standard or possibly a Thumb if i find a good price?) or get the amps.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

2. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    Just my opinion but I'd go for the amps
    you'll never know when you'll need it.

3. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    those little ampeg combos are super cool... I have a BA115 myself, and it sits right next to my tv in my practice room... I took it on one audition in 3 years because the band said the practice super quietly... and they did, and the amp was a champ! But it just won't pull the weight for a loud band.

You can cover tons of room with that 5'er, and there are always 4 strings to score. I say if you wanna be in a band, you need to get yourself an amp that can run with a band...

P@

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    From a guy whose signature sound results from Lakland/Eden, I can't begin to relate to a Warwick/Ampeg gestalt.

5. incognito89x

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Well, i wasn't quite asking about the specific brands. Those were just the choices i'd be making...

you could replace the Lakland/Eden combo in there for my Warwick/Ampeg.

I'm more concered wheter to get the big amp, or keep what i have and get another bass.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  7. incognito89x

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    :D

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'd say definitely go for an amp, whether it's the Ampeg or not. You've already got a Corvette anyway, so a four-string version of it is much more of a nicety than a necessity, as the amp would be.

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I say it depends on your goals as a bassist.

If you just wanna play to screw around on your own, or even be a serious solo artist, then go with the bass. If you wanna play in a small low volume setting, go with the bass.

OTOH, if you wanna play with a band, doing big gigs and playing loud, then go with the amp.

I know Id personally go with an amp, probably an Eden as our friend Munji mentioned, but thats just beacause I know I wanna play gigs every weekend, and jam with my buddies every day in between. Loud volumes and headroom are what my ideal rig is about.

Peace
    Nick

10. incognito89x

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Another thing. How much difference in tone will there be between the 100 watt combo and a Head/Cab stack? Is it a big difference in tone and sound, or just.. louder, or what? Thanks again.

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    With more power and headroom comes better tone.

Of course, that is more true in certain circumstances, and one players version of good tone is anothers version of crap.

Peace
    Nick

12. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I think you should just hold on to your money. Your Ampeg BA115 should be enough for you to rehearse with once you find a band. After you've found a band you're sure you're going to stick with, then you'll have a better idea of what your amplification needs are.

Also, Winter NAMM is just around the corner. Who knows what goodies will pop up? :)