I could be deaf by the time I'm 40.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Fassa Albrecht, Jan 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I went to see a (private) audiologist yesterday to get some answers for all the hearing issues I've had. The good news is that I can still hear.
    Bad news is that I am likely to be deaf at 40 with my lifestyle.

Bearing in mind I listen to music 5h a day and play bass for at least an hour a day too.

Remind me to get earplugs....

2. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    everyone can go deaf. be thankful you have your hearing.

3. It's not brilliant.

4. Sounds pretty simple to fix....get it?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaah......hhahah......haha......heh......ha.

Seriously. I don't see the problem. I've had permanent hearing loss since my early 20's from dumb choices. Like a genius, I don't do those things anymore.

Mike

5. My personal problem is that generally I don't lead any different a lifestyle to anyone my age, apart from bassplaying.

6. WHAT?

7. ^Not funny!

8. There's a volume knob on virtually every electronic device that reproduces sound. There is no problem. You can choose to use it, or you can have trouble getting to sleep at night because of the ringing that won't go away. Either that, or bring the better earplugs to band practice.

Mike

9. Turn the music down. If you are using ear buds, stop, get some good headphones and wear ear plugs.

lowsound

10. I need some can headphones really...I had no problem with them.

11. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    You know what you have to do, so do it...

Your ears are obviously more sensitive to damage than your peers', so you need take more precautions than tnem... I'm in the same boat. I have hearing loss and I get tremendous ringing in my ears at even moderate band volumes. I NEVER go anywhere without my plugs any more (they are on my keychain), and I won't listen to or play live music without putting the plugs in. I recommend getting the custom molded plugs so you can actually hear with the plugs in.

12. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    WHAT DID U SAY? NO! NO! I DIDN'T LOSE ANY EARRINGS!

13. PLEASE don't derail my thread like you did the last one....

14. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Sounds pretty simple to me. Don't be dumb with the volume knob, or if you can't help it, get ear plugs.

15. I'm not THAT loud! Although sometimes when I talk people complain I yell instead of talking.

16. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I never said you were loud. I said you must be playing things too loudly, which is painfully obvious since this supposid visit to the supposid audiologist has told you that you may lose your hearing.
    Did you schedule the appointment for this visit between calls from the police or something?

17. Ah my bad. Oops.

This is something I've had arranged a while- the NHS has many faults, and not being musically-aware is one of them. The audiologist I saw took into account the fact I'm a musician a lot more than my previous audiologists. Also, being private meant I could be seen a lot quicker and at my convenience.

18. I could be deaf by tomorrow. Heck, I could loose a leg tomorrow and on the way to the hospital I could contract some flesh eating disease and loose my genitalia to that. Point being? I can be 99% sure that will not happen, because I take precautions so that it wont. Take precautions and you will have your hearing as long as you live.

lowsound

19. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Maybe it's already too late. It's so bad you're having a hard time reading! :eek:

20. Wow. Maybe it's just Canada, maybe it's just you, but I've never know anyone who had a 1 in a hundred chance of losing a leg, contracting eating flesh disease and subsequently losing their genitalia.

I thought for a second that you might work at a very unsanitary Flesh Eating Bacteria R US and your job required catching running chainsaws with your legs, but I checked your profile and there's no indication this is the case....what gives?

Mike

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.