I could do with some advice on cabs.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by el murdoque, Sep 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Here's my situation:
    I'm in two bands at the moment. Both rehearse in the same building, the rooms are basically just a few meters apart.
    RoomI is the rockband. We don't play out much, this is more a recreational thing.
    In this room I keep two Aguilar GS212 cabs and a Markbass LMII head. The band is loud and the room is essentially a bass trap. One 212 cab is not enough there.

RoomII is where the reggae band practices. We play out a lot. In the room there is a Trace Elliot 410 + 115 stack of another bassist which I'm forced to use since there is no room for more cabs. I play them with my Aguilar TH500.

RoomIII is my livingroom. I don't need a lot of volume there. I was on a quest to find the smallest, bestest, lightest cab that can handle a low B at room temperature and found the barefaced one10 to be the fulfillment of my sonic dreams. I use it with an 18W tube guitar head.

When I play the odd acoustic and/or coffeehousegig, I bring the Tonehammer and the one10.
    That is, however, not possible when I play with the reggae band. I tried that and found that, after I had dialed out most of the bass and compensated by boosting the lower mids, the cab was lacking just a bit of volume to suffice. In the reggaeband we use IEM and the drummer plays electric, so I don't need that much on stage. I usually brought one of the aguilars, which often carried the house instead of the FOH.
    Both guitars in the band have had some serious downsizing and these guys now play heads that can go down to 5W through a single 12" cab. The Drummer just had his IEMs molded and bought a buttshaker, so we don't need to bring that huge ass drum monitor tower he's used until now.
    So the bass rig needs to shrink, too - and having bought a barefaced cab once, I am kind of hooked.

The possibilities as I see them are:
    1) Sell the one10 and buy a barefaced Super Compact. This is just a bit bigger than the one10 and will suffice as a home cab just as well, plus be able to handle the lows better.
    Will it bring the lows of a 6 string with the EQ set to dubby, huge lows on stage as well as my 212 does?

2) Get another one10. With the cloth grille and the Tonehammer, this would make a super sexy tiny fullstack. But will this do? It's super hard to guess for me. I know that when I had my first GS212 and waited for the second to arrive, I could barely hear myself and there was a serious lack of bass in the room. When the second one came, those were problems of the past.

3) Sell off everything and buy something else entirely.
    Maybe get rid of the aggies and replace them with two10s?
    I don't like the idea of 12 ohm cabs, though. . .

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    OK, here's a curve ball out front. Light is more important than small. It's hard to get small and loud in the same box.

Find yourself an older Epifani UL 410. They are incredibly light for a 410. They move HUGE amounts of air. Super punchy loud. I got mine for around $300. I have rarely been this happy with a gear purchase in over thirty years of playing.

Two tiny boxes that move HUGE amounts of air will be super expensive

Here's mine.
    20170713_195154.jpg

3. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I had a pair of BF One10s-loved them but for me, 2 boxes are more of a hassle than 1 that's just a tad larger. Also the lack of a tweeter made them a one trick pony for me, although that 1 trick IS superb :)

I'd go with a BF SC or SM, or an Audiokinesis Hathor 12. I just received the latter and love it-but am admittedly still in "honeymoon phase" with it. Regardless, unless the budget necessitates, I'd keep the One 10 (wish I had). There's no way you can replace a pair of 212s with a pair of One10s :), but maybe a pair of the cabs described above would fill your needs (and cost a kidney.....).

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Something does not compute. You are saying a GOOD 212 cannot carry in a practice room? Turn down - everyone.

Also, you say there are two of the Aggies in the room, but you only use one - why?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  5. Sell it all off, get a big twin II.

Jim Carr likes this.
  6. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    When I gig out, I only need one 212 to carry smaller venues and since we have e-Drums we always bring a potent FOH.
    I myself need the amp on stage to get the vibrations and the flapping pants, the rest is done by the IEM. Some of the others have cheaper erabuds and can't turn up the bass, so they need to hear it on stage.

In that particular room, for reasons unknown to me, I need the two aggies. I play them both there.
    When I play out, one is enough. I used to bring both and leave one in the van, for the case that one will not suffice - but that never happened so I stopped doing that and brought only one.

That would leave me without a cab for my home and without the possibility to bring a small cab to an acoustic gig.

7. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Now that you clarified, it sounds as though another One 10 would do you fine. You know the sound and like it, and it'd be cheaper than a larger BF cab. The pair of One 10s should easily match or exceed the Aggy 212 in terms of perceived volume (not sure about lows), and make the haul a breeze.

afroman and el murdoque like this.
  8. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I just realized that I needed to formulate what I want as well as what I got.
    Which is:
    -The possibility to play music in all three rooms
    -Playing out with the Reggae band with as small&light a rig as possible.
    -while keeping the ability to move huge amounts of air when needed.

9. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    The word "reggae" makes me think the optimal solution (not considering price) would be a BF SC. The lows from that box are bigger/wider/deeper than the One 10s will provide (I have owned both), and a single SC is easier to haul (IMHO) than the pair of 10s...AND you will then have 3 tonal options/combinations...but it'd cost more , assuming you keep the One 10 (which I would advise).

10. shrigg

shrigg Joy Decision Bassist/BL, AudioKinesis Beta Tester Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Traverse City, MI
    This is why I love my Hathor 1505 so much. It's only 10 lb. more than a 1203 but REALLY slays as a one-cab solution!

IMG_9568.JPG

11. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I don't really see the point in owning both the SC and the one10. Both are an easy one hand carry and I don't think i'd be tempted to use the one10 when I have a SC sitting right next to it.
    Do you really mean that a single SC would give me more bottom than a pair of one10s ?

12. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    IME yes-but best to ask Alex; go right to the horse's mouth!

13. That cab is easy enough to take with you, and you can turn down.

14. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Beautiful. I won't be playing my Hathor 1203 with the full band until next Thu, but I strongly suspect that for my needs it'll be plenty. I used to be in a "silly loud" cover band, but the people I jam with now are more reasonable in terms of volume (and whiskey consumption) and a decent 112, even one with a conventional driver, is fine.

15. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I'd love to know what you think of the Hathor 1203 after gigging it, since you have Barefaced experience to speak from. I've played the BF's but never a Hathor 1203.

16. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    2 Mesa Subway 1x15’s. You’ll thank me later. :thumbsup:

DigitalMan likes this.
  17. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I know of 2 bass players in Reggae bands. The Jamaican drummer (same guy in both bands) likes the sound of both but prefers the sound of the guy who uses 2 SC's over the sound of the guy who just uses 1 SC.

More heft in 2 cabs I believe.

el murdoque likes this.
  18. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I'll post after next week, when I fly it with the full band, but keep in mind I am faaaaaaar from a gigging pro-I'm a passionate hack hobbyist/ chronic, unrepentant gear slut, as my avatar indicates:D

el murdoque likes this.
  19. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    A single 2x12 should be more than enough for any rehearsal situation. The bottom line is, your band plays WAY too loud if that's the case.

I'm only 35 and you're making me feel like an old raisin.

20. Shishka Bob

Shishka Bob

May 28, 2017
    CT
    I don't understand why your TH 500 and one or two of your Aguilar GS 2-12 cabs don't cover all of your basses? You can play really quiet or really loud with them. Are you looking to buy new stuff, and that's the reason? ;)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021