I could either make $80, or I could get jumped. Details inside.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Flying on Frets, May 19, 2007.

1. Flying on Frets

Flying on Frets

May 14, 2007
    So here's hte story, copy/pasted from my myspace blog.

"About to make $80? or About to get jumped? Please read"

So here's the deal.

I NEED at LEAST $80, legally.

I met a guy at GuitarCenter last night who was getting into bass guitar. He said he didn't want anything fancy, he just wanted to have whatever he needed to get started

He mentioned he just got out of jail..."parole violation"..

I'm like: ....k
    He's like: lol don't got no amp or bass LoL!
    I'm like: well u no, i could give you MY OLD AMP and whatever the COARDS you need for about $80...
    He's like: LOL SOUNDS GOOD BUT I NEEDE IT WITHIN THIS WEEKEND!
    I"m like: I'll see what I can do, LoL!

So this situation is a bit sketchy; I don't know the guy at all. He's 21, he just got out of jail, tatoos all up his arm, but he seemed like a nice person.
    I was nice to him.

Should I help him? I don't see why not.
    Could I get jumped? Maybe, maybe not

I don't care as of now, the way I see it... I NEED $80 for the thing for my birthday. (Birthday money limit $200 or less, what I want is a new bass that's $279.99)

So here's what's going to happen.

I'm gonna take my chances, but I'm gonna be careful.

I'm gonna sell the amp to this guy in BROAD daylight OMFGLOLDUDE! By broad daylight, I mean, right in front of a grocery store at it's busiest hour(s)

My friends are gonna pull up a car and watch it all go down. My friends are in college so if anything weird goes on, they'll try to help.

So if I get jumped/shot/punched/painted with glitter it'll happen in front of potential witnesses.

Good plan?
    Bad plan?

I don't care, I just want that $80.

Even if I get jumped/shot/beat/painted with glitter at least I got jumped/shot/beat/painted with glitter trying to help someone out instead of illegally trying to screw someone over.

Am I over-speculating/being too paranoid about this? :bag: Possibly.

:help:

2. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    What makes ya think OMFGLOLDUDE will even show up? Funny post, by the way...

3. Zildjian106

Zildjian106

Apr 8, 2007
    :D Very funny... sort of. :meh:

If your worried, is 80 bucks REALLY worth it? :rolleyes:

4. Flying on Frets

Flying on Frets

May 14, 2007
    $80...$80....$80...

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Meet him at Guitar Center.

6. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Well...I think you're a little TOO worried about it. Kudos on taking the precautions and if you're concerned about it then follow through as planned, but, some things to consider:

A cheap practice amp, even with cords and everything, is hard to sell therefore making it unattractive to potential thieves. I've tried to sell a practice amp and I couldn't get $50 for it even though it ran $199 new. And even if it is stolen, your $80 amp would only go for $10-$20 which isn't worth the risk of getting caught and going back to jail anyways.

A more likely story is that you'll set up the deal, show up that day, and he'll have flaked out if anything at all. If you're going to get $80 out of the deal though...DO IT FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    For $80? If something smells fishy (which it does), I'd walk away. I don't care if you do have friends waiting in a car, things can go badly very quickly.

Take caution!

Riis

8. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    PS - maybe the "just got out of jail" part is a little scary, but tattoos all up his arm? Are you REALLY scared of people with tattoos?

:scowl:

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Maybe he's worried that at the merely scent of cash, the GC employees would be the ones that jump him.

Nothing really sounds sketchy- you're the one who offered him the amp and "coards" for $80. He was at GC to look to buy stuff- I can imagine if he was shopping for the items you offered to sell, you can assume that he wanted them in a short amount of time.

10. Flying on Frets

Flying on Frets

May 14, 2007
    No no no no no. I was gnnna clarify that but I didn't want the post to get caught up in an explanation. I have nothing wrong with tatoos, all guys in my family have tatoos except for me, (i'm not yet 18, but if I get one, which i most likely will, I'll think about it for at least a year or two until I get it done. I don't want to regret a tatoo.)

I don't dislike peole for tatoos, but the whole "got out of jail", "healing tatoo on arm/already scarred or something, couldn't tell" just kinda gave off some vibes. I'm not one to stereotype, however, It just gave off some vibes, you know? Don't get me wrong, though.

11. 4lPh4n0m3g4

4lPh4n0m3g4

Nov 19, 2004
    OP sounds paranoid to me.

IMO, a recently paroled felon is highly unlikely to go through so much hassle to rob someone for anything worth less than a $100. There are so many "easier" ways of obtaining cash illegally.

A few simple precautions should minimize any chance of being robbed or placed in harms way.

12. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    Have your friends descretely video tape the transaction from their car. Most video cameras have a decent zoom, just will not get sound.

13. Flying on Frets

Flying on Frets

May 14, 2007
    Question:

This amp that I'll sell him is a Fender Frontman 15b that I got from my friend.

Is that a good price to sell it for? $80?
    I don't want to rip off/make it seem like I ripped him off for the obvious reasons.

I have a boss distortion pedal (the orange one, i got it for like $40 or so) and I was gonna throw that in for free if $80 seemed too much for just the amp.

Good idea? Bad idea? What do you think?:bassist:

14. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    Wear a large fanny pack on your waist, in front. Show up a few minutes late, like you are running behind timewise. Then tell him sorry about being late cause you were at the range practicing w/ your new Glock 21. Then make the deal.

15. 4lPh4n0m3g4

4lPh4n0m3g4

Nov 19, 2004

If it works for you, I don't see any reason why he should later become agitated about the sale. Seems to me a decent deal for both parties.

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Why even get mixed up with the creepy guy?

17. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Seems like you guys were having a good laugh...

:)

18. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Here's something else to complicate your scenario:
    He may want to plug it in and see if it even works, (I sure would).

If so, you guys could just go inside the Guitar Center
    and have him try out one of their basses with your amp.

19. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    It would be way easier for him to steal $80 to pay for your stuff, than for him to steal your stuff.

All the worrying and planning you're doing isn't IMO worth the $80 either. If you put your stuff on craigslist you can probably get the same or more without all the hassle.

Finally, I don't think the guy would try to knock you sensless or risk going back to jail for a mere $80 or some bass gear. If you did go through with it my guess is all would be fine.

20. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    IMO, if he told you that, he doesn't mean trouble, just a warning. If i was to jack someone, I probebly would not want him knowing that. IMO it's save, but then again i am 6.3 370 pound big mofo. :)

Anyway, if he really wanted to jack you he probably wouldn't say anything about jail time. I mean it's nice that you are careful, just don't get overcareful and insult the dude. :)

Goodluck

Cheers

PS, tell the guy i said "lol".

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021