Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I could have scored a nice 5 string for little $$$

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassAxe, Sep 14, 2002.

1. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    I walked into a pawn shop the other day. In addition to the usual flotsam of pawned-off stuff, they also try to sell new, but cheap quality, instruments.

A few of these were bass guitars. I had been in the store before, looking for the odd chance that something good might turn up, and recognised those cheap basses as the same ones hanging there for over a month.

I've been comtemplating getting a 5, since all of mine are fours. So, I picked up a red 5 they had for $250 and discovered that the relief in the neck was bowed AWAY from the strings, in the wrong direction. I took it up to the guy at the counter and explained that the relief is going the wrong way, the action is all messed up, and he'd never be able to sell it in that condition. I watched as he looked all over the bass, trying to figure out what I was talking about. So, I explained it to him. He was like, "Okey... so how do you fix that?" I dug through a pile of random tools they had there in the store until I found what I needed, made the adjustments, tuned it, and plugged into a little combo amp to make sure that it was close enough to being right.

Later it occurred to me that I am waaaay too honest. I could have told the guy, "Fix it? You'll have to replace the neck, which will run you at least $150. Or, if you're willing to come down on the price I'd pay... maybe $100 for it."

2. Jodaka

Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    but honesty is really the way to go. mayhaps you could've fixed it, then gotten a better deal that $250...

jdkh

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Good for you. You did your good deed for the day.

4. RyKnoz

RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    NYC