1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I couldn't get comfortable, so I went vertical

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Wrilley, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Wrilley

Wrilley

Jan 2, 2012
    Detroit, MI USA
    I tried adjusting my strap from higher than Wooten to lower than Trujillo and just couldn't get comfortable. Everything I tried left me with either an extreme wrist angle, or limited fret access or both.

I ended up repositioning my strap buttons, horn moved to face, end moved about 2 inches toward the controls. I reverse the strap so it runs over my right shoulder then around. I end up with a VERY comfortable playing position. Covering 4 frets is way more comfy and I can cover them from 1 to 4 and from 21 to 24 on any string without having to shift or strain. Also, my thumb isn't really needed so I notice that my grip is much more relaxed. I suppose I could even use it to fret if I needed a long span for some reason (just tested, can span 13 to 24 with thumb and pinky (34 scale)).

No weird wrist angles, no stretching to get my pinky to the B string, no death-grip claw. Seems like a win. :hyper:

Dunno if I've reinvented the wheel here, but I'm really liking the comfort so I thought I'd share. :D

I took this pic in a mirror, but then flipped it so it should look correct.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=247374&stc=1&d=1327480532

Attached Files:

2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    If it works for you, cool. It's a little unusual, but if that's what you have to do to avoid unnecessary joint stress then go for it.

3. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    i've been trying to figure out a way to make my warwick corvette hang on me like my p bass ....haven't drilled any holes yet but you got me thinkin' ....

4. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Bill Wyman would approve.

5. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    There were good reasons why bass string instrument were designed to be play vertically.
    Good for you!!

But, there is always a but ...
    Be careful not to get the strap too close to your neck,
    you are gonna run into some sensitive nerve endings.

6. Looks alot like how Fieldy plays his bass, mostly upright.

3831049315_551847d4be_z.

7. I played with my bass fairly vertical for years - I always moved the horn strap to the inside facing the neck. I later moved to a more "traditional" angle, but I actually move it around a lot depending on the song or how I'm feeling. I generally have 2-3 holes at the ends of my straps, so I can elongate it and go vertical when I want to.

8. Wrilley

Wrilley

Jan 2, 2012
    Detroit, MI USA
    Yeah, I could see that. The reason for the reverse routing is that the lower end pulls the body left and more upright. Actually in that shot of Fieldy it looks like his strap is up on the side of his neck.

I didn't think about that position, that would have been less conspicuous. Were you able to find a good balance point doing that?

I wouldn't mind a more standard strap path, but I couldn't get mine to hang upright over my left shoulder. I didn't want to have to lift it at all. Or add any lead ballast....

Edit:

Come to think of it. Do any of you luthier types have any advice about the placement of strap buttons to accommodate this playing position? TIA