Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I couldn't take it anymore!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tames, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Tames

Tames

Dec 31, 2002
    Decatur, IL, USA
    I finally ordered an SX P/J style bass. I hope to be pleased. I don't expect to be super impressed, but as long as she plays well, I'm more than happy. For less than $200, I've got the theory that if I don't like it (even if everyone else does) I can always:

A) Sell it.

B) Strip it's parts.

C) Mod the crap out of it.

Anyone excited for me and want to tell me how much I'll like it and how good of an investment it was?! :D

2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Let us know how you like it. I've been thinking about getting one myself. What color did you get?

3. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    Vintage White? If so, slap a black guard on it and its as good looking as anything out there. I was thinkin' about gettin' one myself just to test run what a PJ bass is like. but -

Can someone tell me if true P tone is available in a PJ model? in other words, is it truly a P bass with an added J pup, or a whole 'nother thing on its own?

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    whole nothjer thiung

5. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    The last thing I need is another bass. But the price for an SX is less than I paid for just the case I bought from Fender. I play all short scale basses now, so it's a daily struggle to stop myself from ordering a short scale P bass. Luckily for me, nobody here on the forum that I know of has done a review of a short scale SX P or J. A glowing report would surely give me a severe GAS explosion. According to Rondo, there may be an SX Mustang coming out this summer sometime, so I'm going to hold out for one of those. :smug:

6. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    If you solo the neck pickup, and it's in the same spot as on a straight P, how is it a whole other thing? I know with both pickups on it is.

7. audiotom

audiotom

May 31, 2005
    new orleans
    Joe

I have a short scale J bass - very nice
    I haven't modded it yet
    or changed out the bright strings
    but the workmanship is great and the playability is wonderful for those with smaller hands or stretch problems (my issue)

the body size is smaller like a guitar,
    but it has realistic tones

8. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I just ordered a lefty sxj75af to use the neck for my own project. I wanted a lefty (upside down tuners) for my righty rear routed body. Hope it fits. Will anyone be wanting a new, loaded, lefty body? On another note, I recently bought a basket case 66' Fender Mustang bass (short scale) that I've finally put together sans the lindy fralin rewinds that I'm expecting to arrive in a week or so, so I'll finally be able to hear it.

9. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    that's the question we most likely won't get an answer to. the lightness of the SX P/J (are other P/Js as light?) has something to do with it as well. :shrruuuggg:

10. Tames

Tames

Dec 31, 2002
    Decatur, IL, USA
    I just want the meaty punch sound of that bridge jazz as well as the thickness of a P. I ordered the 3 tone sunburst and I plan on putting on a Turtoise Shell pickguard. The ones I found (for a standard P) have WAY more holes than the ones that come on it. I believe the screw numbers on the one that come on it are... 9. Whereas a true Fender P has like 14.

Current Mod List:

A) Turtoise Shell pickguard.

B) Leo Quan Badass Bass II (I have one on my Jazz, and LOVE it.)

C) Schaller tuning machines.

11. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I said no more basses for a (loooong) while, but one of those I might make an exception for. Especially if it's ash bodied.

12. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Oh they're lighter? Are the P's lighter than normal too?

13. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    nay, only the PJ's are a ridiculously amount lighter (7 lbs?!). The P's and J's weigh in at their respective 8.5 and 9s.

14. I already have one SX that I love and haven't even touched it as far as mods go because it is basically perfect how it is (although I did get a BAII off eBay last night for it). I even just ordered myself one of them SJB75s last night, can't wait to get it.

Hope you enjoy yours when you get it! Everyone else seems to. Nice little mod list to start with.