I couldn't think of a clever way to tell this story... so...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I had a public speaking class not too long ago. I still suck at public speaking, but that doesn't matter. I had one of the strangest experiences ever in that class.

This girl who seemed a tad on the slow side was giving her final speech. Her subject, Winnie the Pooh, and her love of Mr. Pooh Bear. Innocent enough. But I'm sure you can see where this is going. Then she started doing her speech. She went on to tell the class how much she loves Pooh, how she surrounds herself with pooh, how there is pooh all over her bed. When she gets out of the shower, there is pooh on her towel so she rubs pooh on her face.

I'm looking at my friend, he's looking at me, we are snickering like crazy. Inches from busting out laughing. We look around the room, no one else thinks it's funny, in fact a lot of them looked annoyed that we were snickering. I made eye contact with one guy who then started snickering a little too. But it was the most aquard situation ever.

So, I have decided to give this thread a purpose. Have you ever been in a situation where something that you though was hilarious was happening but you couldn't laugh?

:hyper: Seems like a fun idea for a thread. :hyper:
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    all the time, I laugh at things a lot, but it's rarely appropriate. Sometimes something I may see on stage or on TV or at an event or whatever will remind me of a joke I heard months ago, and I'll just start snickering and busting up inside, with everyone else just giving me blank stares or trying to pretend I'm not being so disruptive.

The worst is when you're at some gathering where everyone is mourning, could be a funeral or an anniversary of someone's death, and you can't help but laugh at something it might not have anything to do with your present surroundings, it might be a joke you heard recently..but you just can't keep it in...yeah, that's not so good.

eitherway, I love laughing, I laugh whenever I can.
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm the same way. I'll be walking down the street and I'll think of something random and I'll be ready to fall on the sidewalking laughing. A lot of people think I'm crazy. :( But a lot of my friends are the same way so we get along just fine. Laughing about the stupidest stuff.
  4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I'm not supposed to find this funny...

But I was watching that KKK documentary on the history channel today, and a couple of the guys were wearing shirts that said "The original boys in the hood".

I thought it was rather clever.

Oh, and pretty funny too.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    They say laughter is the best medicine, and there is more wisdom to those words than beats the eye. Laughing not only feels good, but it helps you oxygenate your body which in turn does wonders for your overall well-being. on top of that, you often forget about what makes you sad, in pain..etc. while you are laughing, so it's a temporary fix for many afflictions.
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Yeah, I unfortunatly have found myself laughing at a couple of racist jokes, cleverness can be found in many places, good or bad. One of the funniest things I've ever seen is my friend Jared who was white trying to get my friend Earnie who is black to tell a racist joke against white people. Earnie swore up and down that he didn't know any. So Jared would bust out a racist joke, Earnie would crack him with a Sobe bottle, which might as well be made of steel. This process went on for quite some time. By the end of the night Jared was black and blue. :p
  7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm a sucker for wit. clever jokes, be they in bad taste or not, always get at least a smirk from me.

that pretty much sums up the relationship I had with my last girlfriend. :meh:
  8. ok, last trimester in Adv. American Studies we were sayiing a 10-15 min speech on our family history and experiences...
    so anyway this kid gets up to the front of the class and he gets going on how his family got to where they live now etc etc...

so anyway when he got to the section where he was goin to tell us about some of his "life" experiences it happened; he started to talk about some nasty in-grown toe nail he had when he was like 4...

so the class tried to hold it in... so did the teacher. so we're all kinda sitting there not trying to laugh (cuz this is like his history...) and then he starts walking back and forth discussing how he used to get strange images about his grandpa sitting at a fire...

so we had enough of his speech... we broke out in laughter, i guess u would have to kinda be there but anyway, it was the most random speech i have ever heard. :cool:
  9. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I have a special place in my heart for filthy jokes. Call it a shortcoming, but I just dearly love all forms of potty-humor and bad taste situational humor. That stuff kills me.

I also have a really bad habit of letting memories or things that I think of on my own crack me up into laughter, and it's gotten me in trouble more than a few times.

My best story about inappropriate laughter isn't exactly cut out for the aim of this place and it's service of the family and church crowd, but I'll do my best to clean it up:

This girl I was dating a few years back and I were...erm...mid-coitus, and I found myself in the precarious position — heh — of having a volcano (sic) about to erupt a bit before I was ready for that kind of fireworks. So I did what any other person would in a state of desperation. I started trying to think of something, anything, other than my work at the present time. I started running through song lyrics, grooves, car power stats, anything I could wrap my mind around that might help.

Well, you all know, I'm sure, just how weird and funny the human mind is. How it'll start to make connections between things that aren't really connected. One story and memory led to another in my feeble, crazed mind, and I came to a memory of a phone conversation with my best friend that took place YEARS ago that still to this day will incite snorting laughter between the two of us whenever it's brought up, so...

Wait. Ya'll know where this is going.

I bit my lip and tried really hard not to start snickering. I knew how much trouble I'd be in, believe you me. Still, before I caught it, a little chuckle got past me. Then everything else snowballed and got increasingly worse, beginning with

“Are you laughing? Are you laughing at me?”

Of course, now, I'm really screwed. We are no longer mid-coitus. We are now coitus-interruptus, with a healthy side of me knocking on the door to the bathroom that she streaked into trying my best to a) not laugh, because I'm still getting residual memories of this ****ed up telephone conversation from five years or more ago, and b) explain to her that I most certainly wasn't laughing at her.

Friends and neighbors, that night's festivities and fireworks ended with a dull thud, instead of the glorious bang(again, sic) your humble author was expecting.
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I laugh at everything and everyone, and make jokes, comments, asides, derisions, insults, insight, puns, word play, wit, and general cynicism quite often.

Success rate is about 45/55.

Maybe that explains why I'm "an aquired flavor" to quote my roomate. No wonder the chicks don't dig me.
  11. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN

My best friend says that watching me interact with people is like watching a car accident about to happen. Says he knows something bad's about to happen, and that he's afraid to look, but he can't help it because he wants to see how bad it is when it's all over.
  12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    no, it's because you're a big hairy ogre with a high IQ
  13. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Oh, right. My bad.
  14. Actually, just the other day I was in a wedding as a groomsman, or whatever that is, I just stand there. There was another groomsman named Joe, who has this thing with farting in inappropriate places, at inappropriate times, on people's inappropriate laps usually. This had been happening all day leading up to the wedding. And he kept saying that he was going to do it up next to the alter during the ceremony. Well, during the ceremony, all he had to do was look at me and I couldn't stop snickering. I collected myself eventually, but lost it again when he whispered "I'm seaping" to me. That was a wedding to remeber.
  15. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    one time, a long time ago, i was on a particuarly quiet train reading the paper and i read something about Steve Martin's book - "How to Fold Soup". for some reason that title killed me, and no matter what i did i couldn't control myself or get it out of my head. i was by myself completely falling apart. people started moving away from me.
  16. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I have no sense of humor.

17. *snort* Thanks alot.

I have the feeling I'm going to find myself laughing, at inappropriate times of course, for the rest of the day everytime this story pops into my head.

It's going to be a good day, for sure. :p

18. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    This happens to me all the time, it got me in quite a lot of trouble at school (I'm the only person ever to have been sent out of a 6th form history lesson :D).

Our teacher was telling us about the battle of manassas, but for some reason was pronouncing it man's ass. Honestly. Me and my mate Bob are kind of looking at each other out of the corner of our eyes and trying not to laugh... And then the teacher said 'And the confederate troops went round the back of man's ass and took it by force' and I just lost it, I burst out laughing and the teacher went mental at me, I have no idea why, but it was only me and Bob laughing in the whole class!

Also with the same teacher, he wrote ordinance on the board, rather than ordnance, I corrected him and he told me I was wrong. I started looking in the textbook so I could show him I was right and he said 'Stop reading that, it won't teach you anything.' Me and Bob started laughing a little bit at that, cos it's kind of funny and he told me to pick up my stuff and get out. So there I am, picking up my stuff and trying not to completely dissolve into laughter, and he shouts 'Quickly, before I blow my top!'. Maybe some of you could have just carried on, but I just cracked up, I almost fell over I was laughing so much and I staggered from the room crying with laughter.

Ah, those were the days... :D
  19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

That is the funniest thing I've heard in a while.

I rarely LOL, but...

lol... a whole lot.
  20. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London