1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I couldn't think of a title for this thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by GeneralElectric, Apr 24, 2009.

1. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
  2. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Uh; Expedition?

3. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Thats the only thing you found wrong with the article

4. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    good lord... I really really wonder about what passes for "journalism" these days.

5. Beno

Beno

Jan 11, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    They should've been giving out candy.

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I look at this differently. By airing a story about how easy it is to get kids to "talk to strangers", parents get a much-needed wake up call about their little darlings who "always do what they're supposed to." Oprah did this years ago, and while it was terrifying for the parents, they learned a lot about their children.

But it's much easier to attack the news crew.

7. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    Pacman strikes again, with his megaton hammer of reason!

8. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    People don't already know how easy child abduction is?

Sketchy van from sketchy dude - $500
    Can of spraypaint to pain "Candy" on van - $6
    Jumbo discount bag of candy - $10

Cruise by an elementary school. They'll friggin come to you. You're practically invisible, too.

9. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Maki is good at this, ask him.

Wouldnt this have been an opportune time for a real predator to take a kid, seeing that everyone though it was planned? :eyebrow:

10. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Disagree, well let's say that I disagree to a point. Yes, it is easy to attack the news crew because they're using a parent's worst fears to sell air time.
    As a parent, you do your absolute best to teach your kids right from wrong, good from bad, etc etc but you cannot control their every thought, every word and every action. You can only hope to supply them with enough common sense to do what's right and use their heads. BUT - they're kids, and not adults and will never think and reason and evaluate every situation like an adult would. Even a kid who's been taught and coached by his/her parents to never talk to strangers can get sucked in by a smooth-talking weirdo.
    Every time you let your kids out of the door, you run the risk of this happening. You run the risk of them getting hit by a car, getting attacked by a dog, neighborhood bully, or getting hit by falling ex-Soviet space debris...
    You do your best to prevent it, but there's nothing more you can do short of living in fear cuz KMSP says so and locking your child in his/her room and not letting them out until they reach 18. IMHO, this is just another case of journalism going too far and preying on emotional issues to sell air time.

11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I agree - but this is a great teaching opportunity. You can sit the kid down and say "Do you see how easy it was for your friends to get tricked?" and use that as an opportunity to get the child to think one more time. Maybe it will pay off. When she was still pretty young, I made my daughter watch an episode of "To Catch a Predator" - for the express reason of showing her there are people in the world who want to do you harm.

And that's a lot better that using the news conference of some heartbroken parent pleading for someone to bring their child back, isn't it? Sometimes, fear is useful - it can keep you alive.

12. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Agree with you 100%. That's the thing I hate the most about local news (well any news source really, but the local channels have less to work with so the stories are a little more out there), when they've got nothing better to do they drum up some scandal with a sensationalist news story.

13. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    HAHAHA:p

14. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    I really don't understand the parent's reaction here. It's not as if the journalist was going to abduct their child - they were going to ask for directions.

And one of the comments was particularly moronic - the person claimed that driving around asking kids for directions was illegal and people got arrested for it every day. Now I realise that asking for directions breaks Man Law, but as far as I'm aware, it's not actually part of the US law.

Slightly OT - I have a friend who wouldn't speak to anyone on his first day at school, because his parents told him not to speak to strangers :D